Stochastic flakes too large?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stochastic flakes too large?

I am working on a car shader with stochastic flake material, but having the problem that the flakes seem very large to me although I have them already set at minimum (with mm units for the file settings).
    I am also having trouble getting the flakes to only spread around the brightest lighted areas on the car.
    Here is the light setup with a normal glossy reflective car material:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	lighting.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	887260
    and here are just the flakes:

Name:	smalles flakes.JPG
Size:	158.8 KB
ID:	887261
    I put in a fallof fresnel map into the reflection map, set at 2.5 IOR.
    BTW, this is a crop of a 6000x5000px rendering showing the whole car.
    What I am looking for a is a nice subtle flakes effect that doesnt look like noise (the the client definitely doesnt want) but that subtle nice car paint flake shader.

Name:	7DeVav4.jpg
Size:	462.0 KB
ID:	887262
    Any help? I am clueless of what I am doing wrong.
    Add Your Light LogoCheck out my tutorials, assets, free samples and weekly newsletter:
    www.AddYourLight.com
    Always looking to learn, become better and serve better.

check out these test results:

Name:	1.JPG
Size:	169.4 KB
ID:	867065

Name:	2.JPG
Size:	167.3 KB
ID:	867066

Name:	3.JPG
Size:	134.2 KB
ID:	867067
    btw, the normal flakes material works normally as expected:

Name:	flakesmtl.JPG
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	867068
    Last edited by MANUEL_MOUSIOL; 16-03-2017, 09:25 AM.
    Add Your Light LogoCheck out my tutorials, assets, free samples and weekly newsletter:
    www.AddYourLight.com

Comment

ok, I always used "real zoom" in the RT to look at details cause I thouht...well, it was like vray camera zoom. doesnt seem to be. cause all the results I got were like this:

Name:	errors.jpeg
Size:	298.4 KB
ID:	867070
      but using actual vray camera zoom to do a crop (somehow 3dsmax didnt let me crop) I got these results:

Name:	production.jpg
Size:	489.5 KB
ID:	867071
      which is much closer to what I am trying to achieve. still would like the flakes to be smaller, but cant get them to be.
      getting the same results in RT with the camera zoom

Name:	rt.jpg
Size:	350.5 KB
ID:	867072

still not 100% content with the result, but I found one error at last
      www.AddYourLight.com

Comment

Hi,

"flakes scale" parameters does not represent the size of the flakes, but is the scaling of the whole texture space. You must use the triplanar mapping with care and set "flakes scale" to sufficiently small value (0.01, 0.001..) depending on the scale of the object and increase the "num flakes" accordingly. You can find the exact relation here https://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/...asticFlakesMtl.

So the way to achieve smaller looking flakes is to increase their number, and you can also play with the "blur angle" parameter. Also I would suggest GGX BRDF type.

Also usually people achieve better results more than one layers of stochastic flakes. Take a look at this tutorial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpPQk5fNrho.

Best regards,
        Asen

Comment

ok thanks. that helped. I will play around some more.

am I right that Vray RT is computing the flakes at the original resolution and the real zoom option cant display more details because of that?

Originally posted by asen.atanasov View Post
          Hi,

"flakes scale" parameters does not represent the size of the flakes, but is the scaling of the whole texture space. You must use the triplanar mapping with care and set "flakes scale" to sufficiently small value (0.01, 0.001..) depending on the scale of the object and increase the "num flakes" accordingly. You can find the exact relation here https://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/...asticFlakesMtl.

So the way to achieve smaller looking flakes is to increase their number, and you can also play with the "blur angle" parameter. Also I would suggest GGX BRDF type.

Also usually people achieve better results more than one layers of stochastic flakes. Take a look at this tutorial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpPQk5fNrho.

Best regards,
          Asen
          www.AddYourLight.com

Comment

Working...
          X