Clipper issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clipper issues

Not sure if this is related to instances - I was doing a test of an animation method to use as an intro for something and i'm getting a ton of artifacts while using the clipper.
    It seems to be misplacing the in fill surface in a way? but it sticks to and follows the geometry of the sphere i'm using as the clipper object. Should I even be expecting it to work with something like this? The final will have all this simple geometry replaced with a proper 100m+ poly city, so I need to make sure it's not going to constantly spit out errors before going much further down this route.

Here's a gif showing the issue:

Could it be related to the spherical camera? I wont be rendering with one for the final sequences.
    None of the foreground buildings (that that pattern comes from) are instances, I collapsed them all to edit poly. there are still some in the distant background however? not really sure whats causing it.

Clipper issues seem to be caused by the transparency levels being too low. Try upping them really high (1000) and see if the problem persists.

Render times will go up though!

Comment

I already raised them to 1,000 so that the trees and plants in the foreground didnt render with black splotches... doesnt change this issue lowering them back down to a more normal amount either.

Comment

Ive had same issues doing a massive building section. It was down to having coplanar faces, but not within the same object. So like, wall cladding snapped to wall for example. Had to do it manual with slice tool in the end

Comment

Another possibility is that the objects you are clipping are open. With a complex scene it's not realistic to have all closed objects anyway...

I had a similar thing happen and the only way around it was to not use clipper at all but rather VraydistanceTex on every material.
          It's a bit of a pain setting it up but once done it will give you the same effect as using clipper, with the same sphere being used to mask the objects.
          You could test is quite easily with your scene using material override as you are doing now.

Comment

Originally posted by digitalmediatechnik View Post
            I had a similar thing happen and the only way around it was to not use clipper at all but rather VraydistanceTex on every material.
            In the opacity of every material?
            This is just a test scene to try ideas - we've got about 60 different high detail building models that have been worked on by a team of 3 people, for the final we'll be instancing them around until there are something like 600+ buildings to make up a proper skyline for the final version... not to mention road details, cars, people, trees etc... I definitely need something a little quicker to set up to do this idea.

I've got no problem being told this isn't possible for what it's worth - the client didn't like my first idea (which I still prefer, and is super easy to do) and wanted me to explore other options.
            Last edited by Neilg; 20-03-2017, 09:48 AM.

Comment

Hello,

Could you share the scene but with only one of the problem buildings? Here or send it to our support?

Best regards,
              Yavor
              Yavor Rubenov
              V-Ray for 3ds Max developer

Comment

I can email it to someone, sure. what address should I use?

Comment

You can send it to me directly - yavor.rubenov at chaosgroup.com
                  Yavor Rubenov
                  V-Ray for 3ds Max developer

Comment

sent!
                    thanks for taking a look

Comment

Working...
                    X