Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vray displacement with multi/sub material issue

Hello

Is there a way to use vray displacement directly on the material, within a multi/sub map?
    I tried it already, but as there are not a lot of config options; like the modifier has, i cant get it to work correctly
    Usin displacement as a modifier isn't a option either, as it will use the object and not just the mat ID.
    Somehow i would like to avoid breaking down the poly in parts just to use 2 different materials

Using 3ds 2016, vray 3.5.04

Any ideas how to get this solved?
    --------------------------------------------------
    Photorealistic visualizations at 3D.CR

Hello!

VRayDisplacementMod can work with VRayMultiSubTex in Texmap slot - then you just have to connect the actual maps you want for displacement to the correct IDs of VRayMultiSubTex (they correspond to polygon material IDs).

Else, there is an option in the VRayDisplacementMod to Use obj mtl (it's in the 3D mapping/subdivision section). When enabled, it will use the map found in the material's displacement slot instead of the map in the modifier. Then you can use the VRayMultiSubTex in the material instead. Or you can assign a Multi/Sub-Object material to the geometry and the Use obj material option will apply the actual displacement maps from the sub-materials with the control settings from the modifier.

Best regards,
    Margarita
    Margarita Stoeva | chaos.com
    Chaos QA (V-Ray for 3ds Max)

Comment

Hello,
      Going back to use of VRayDisplacementMod (2D mapping) together with MultiSubTex
      Please see the screenshot

Click image for larger version

Name:	Displacement.jpg
Views:	1122
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	1074261

All I want is to have instanced objects with different displacement textures based on "Random by Node Handle" option
      But I can not make it working. Will appreciate your help!

Thanks

(3ds max 2016 and Vray 3.60.05)

Comment

Hello!

Unfortunately there is some issue with your case as described. VRayDisplacementMod in 2D displacement is not using the variety of VRayMultiSubTex available sub-maps for instanced geometry. I logged this in our bug tracking system and I'll forward it to our developers.
        Thank you for bringing our attention to this.

As a workaround, you can probably use VRayDisplacementMod with3D mapping mode instead? Or break the instances to individual copies with Make unique?
        Or eventually delete the VRayDisplacementMod modified and just use the Displacement slot of your material to keep the 2d type of displacement although with no advanced options.

Best regards,
        Margarita
        Margarita Stoeva | chaos.com
        Chaos QA (V-Ray for 3ds Max)

Comment

Hi Margarita!
          Thank you for the prompt reply and your actions.
          Unfortunately, none of workarounds are suitable for us.
          So we will start praying for your development team )
          Regards!
          Dmitry

Comment

Working...
          X