Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RT 5k renders crashing. Think I might be doing something wrong??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RT 5k renders crashing. Think I might be doing something wrong??

HI Guys,

I have a relatively simple scene... it has a house and a lot of vray proxy trees and plants in it. Scene stats say it has 3.8million polys. This would be 98% due to the proxy trees and plants.

It renders fine in rt active shade (mtls 1112mb, geo 682mb, lights 80mb, other 184mb) with 5.29gb free space left on gtx 1070.

It renders fine in Vray RT production at the relatively small image size of 2000px and the stats say the total gpu memory used is approx 3gb (mtls 1112mb, geo 1903mb, lights 80mb, other 184mb) with 4.09gb free space left on gtx 1070.

I then change the render size to 5000px (keeping everything else exactly the same) and it says it has run out of memory and won't even start rendering. The RT stats for the 5k render say that the geometry is all of a sudden taking up over 8gb of memory.

Am I doing something wrong? Any ideas? Why does the geometry increase in space when the image size increases?

If you have view-dependent displacement, V-Ray will displace the mesh more if it is closer to the camera (or in your case, if it takes more pixels area) https://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/...isplacementMod
    This is actually an optimization (otherwise, if it displaces everything as fine as it can it will use even more memory).

Probably you have to try with lower displacement/subdivision settings.

Best,
    Blago.
    V-Ray fan.
    Looking busy around GPUs ...
    RTX ON

Comment

Hi Blago,

Yep that's sounds like it is the problem. Which exact settings would I change to make it lower?

Comment

Raise the Edge length.
        If it was that easy, it would have already been done

Peter Matanov
        Chaos

Comment

Ok so I tried raising the edge length and it doesn't really help. But what is also very strange is that I deleted all vray displacement mods in the scene and disabled displacement in rt global switches and I am still getting a huge difference in the size of the geometry when I increase the render size.

So with all displacement gone and switched off: at 2k the geo is at 1330mb and at 5k is it at 4600mb

Is there anything else that is size dependant?

Comment

It will be best if you send us the scene (at my mail), it will be quicker than just guessing
            If it was that easy, it would have already been done

Peter Matanov
            Chaos

Comment

Working...
            X