Bizarre viewport behavior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bizarre viewport behavior

Not sure whether this is caused by vray or just exacerbated by it but this has to be the strangest issue yet...

This has only been happening for the last 24 hours. Including older drivers and newer GeForce drivers. I've tried reverting max back to DX9 also with no luck.

Using a GTX 770 / Win 7 / Max 2016 sp4 / Vray 3.6 (tried a couple of different nightlies)

Seems to be happening every few seconds and happens both in an empty file and a fully loaded one but seems to be triggered more easily by opening the vfb/showing vfb history. That is to say it will happen without vray's intervention.

Anyone seen this before? Dxdiag shows no errors. Tried running a few stress tests but no errors came up.

Another very odd thing I've never seen before is a small floating text thing that says "Samples [xxxxxx]". Screengrab attached.

Anyone seen this before? Short of re-installing max I have no idea what to do...

James Burrell www.objektiv-j.com
    Visit my Patreon patreon.com/JamesBurrell

hi,
    you could try moving your `c:\users\appdata\<username>\local\autodesk\3dsmax 201x\ENU` folder somewhere else(as a backup so you can replace if it doesn`t help). run max again to make it rebuild the prefs folder, see if that helps. i get random weirdness and often doing this solves it. the downside is that some of your prefs will be reset but you can probably copy some of that back in from the folder you moved.
    anthonyh

Comment

Starting to think it's my GPU. Getting some other weird stuff going on with other non-3D applications :S

Comment

We had a pc that did that. Turned out to be the monitors.
        Adam Trowers

Comment

Originally posted by flipbook View Post
          We had a pc that did that. Turned out to be the monitors.
          Interesting...

Comment

Replaced my GPU and it seems to have fixed the problem.

Comment

Spoke too soon! :O

Comment

Its probably not your GPU, Ive always had display problems with max 2016 view ports and the entire GUI. I get a lot of times where random crap will be displayed on the view port as well as sometimes the GUI seems to refresh and all the buttons disappear until I hover my mouse over them and they reappear, as well as the main button where if I click on it as long as I keep the mouse over the button and dont move off I can see the drop down menu and the recent files but as soon as I move off the button I have literally about 0.5 to 1.0 second to click on the file or option I want before it all disappears and then I have to click off somewhere else and re click the button again if I miss what I wanted. Its been a serious PITA for me ever since they introduced that stupid oversized button and cant wait to uninstall 2016 and move to 2018 where they FINALLY got rid of it. Anyway unless your GPU is acting up in other programs as well I would suspect it is 3dsmax its self that is at the core of your problems.
                Cheers,
                -dave
                â–  ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 1950X â–  ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 2990WX â–  ASUS PRIME X399 - 2990WX â–  GIGABYTE AORUS X399 - 2990WX â–  ASUS Maximus Extreme XI with i9-9900k â– 

Comment

Hrmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm I've rolled back to Vray 35004 and so far no problems. How curious...

Comment

Bumping with the hope someone from chaosgroup will notice this. Still no crashes with an older version of vray running...

Comment

Been running the official 36001 build and no problems so far... something is up with the nightlies...

Comment

Which nightly build was that? I tried with a few of them but I fail to reproduce the issue.
                        Zdravko Keremidchiev | chaos.com
                        Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

it was happening with 36001_27484 and at least one other (which I have since deleted).

Just for your info:
                          Changed GPU
                          Changed monitors and cables
                          Removed Max ENU folder to reset prefs
                          Removed corona toolbar
                          Removed Sigershaders products

None of the above helped.

edit: It was also causing issues with other graphical apps while open in the background. Bridge would pop in front of photoshop for example. If bridge was open on my second monitor, it would display whichever menu was being used in the top left of my first monitor. Hard to believe it could be VRAY but as I said; no issues with the current version I'm running...

Comment

I still can't reproduce it. Is there something specific that you do? Does it reproduce if you install back 27484 build?
                            Zdravko Keremidchiev | chaos.com
                            Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

I'll give it a go when I get a moment. It seemed like it was easier to reproduce when the VFB was opened, but honestly sometimes it would happen with just an empty scene. Sometimes it would happen literally every 4-5 seconds in another scene. I'll get back to you.

Comment

Working...
                              X