Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to Combine Multiple Displacement Maps ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Combine Multiple Displacement Maps ?

[UPDATE]

Here is how to do it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkmHBC-Y4YQ

[/UPDATE]

Hello all, hello Vlado

I am following the Texturing XYZ guide on how to combine multiple displacement maps which can be found here https://texturing.xyz/pages/non-dest...turingxyz-maps

Is there a way to do this in 3ds max with V-Ray?

I would like a simple way to combine many displacement maps and have control over their strength.

Can Chaos group make node for adding multiple displacement maps with amount control? (Since this post is both a question and a feature request I will post the feature request portion in the wishlist forum)

I understand that Chaos Gourp is extremely busy and would really appreciate and answer to this question.

Thank you for reading and kindest regards

Steve ~
    Last edited by stevejjd; 17-07-2017, 03:14 PM.

As for now V-Ray supports up to one displacement node, it is not possible to add multiple ones and control their amounts separately.
    This is a widely discussed topic on the forums and we also got a lot of requests about it via email, I'm not sure if we have it in our roadmap but I'm sure that Vlado knows about it.

The way to mix multiple textures now is to plug all the textures in a node that can blends them like Mix, Composite, VRayCompTex and etc and then plug that node into VRayDisplacementMod.
    Then with displacement amount set the desired height and with the CompTex tweak the contribution of the separate maps.

I agree that this approach is not as convenient as separate Displacement nodes but it would give the same result after-all.
    Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
    Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

Adding them all together in a map network and then controlling their strengths using output value in bitmap would not work?

Comment

Originally posted by svetlozar.draganov View Post
        As for now V-Ray supports up to one displacement node, it is not possible to add multiple ones and control their amounts separately.
        This is a widely discussed topic on the forums and we also got a lot of requests about it via email, I'm not sure if we have it in our roadmap but I'm sure that Vlado knows about it.

The way to mix multiple textures now is to plug all the textures in a node that can blends them like Mix, Composite, VRayCompTex and etc and then plug that node into VRayDisplacementMod.
        Then with displacement amount set the desired height and with the CompTex tweak the contribution of the separate maps.

I agree that this approach is not as convenient as separate Displacement nodes but it would give the same result after-all.

Thank you so much for your reply. That was very helpful for me to understand the limitations.

If you dont mind me saying, I believe this feature would be a top priority. A pipeline for such functionality and control would be amazing. Is this idea possible in theory or is it literally impossible to have such a node?

I think such a feature would make V-Ray even more powerful, user-friendly and a great response to the new texturing XYZ data sets.

If you can offer this up to the teams for review to see if it can fit in with V-Ray road-map I and many CG artists would be most grateful.

Kind Regards

Steve ~

Comment

Just to understand, what functionality are you looking for that cannot be found in mix/composite/comptex maps?
          Rens Heeren
          Generalist
          WEBSITE - IMDB - LINKEDIN - OSL SHADERS

Comment

I honestly don't know how to combine multiple maps using those nodes

im still trying to learn how to do it

how would you guys go about combining 2 or more displacement maps ?

Comment

but mix/comp doesn't give same result. you can mix them, sure but in order to have such a control would be much better. for example also to be able to read mat IDs would be a huge deal and improvement for vray dipl mode

Comment

Im getting help on this subject and will post how to do it soon

Comment

This is how you do it guys
                  Here is how to do it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkmHBC-Y4YQ

Comment

Old thread but still relevant. How do I mix 2 different types of displacement? One being vector displacement (phoenix ocean) and the other an animated greyscale displacement map.
                    Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Comment

Here is the video. The person took it down. Please do not upload this video to youtube ir vimeo
                      https://drive.google.com/open?id=1yr...LDBFysr9nlxbYd

I do not know how to mix multiple vector Displacement Maps.

Comment

Sorry, I have been getting emails about this topic and I don't have the video or scene for 3ds Max where it demonstrates how to combine multiple displacement maps.

Please refer to this

http://www.xuanprada.com/blog/2017/1...iple-bump-maps

http://www.xuanprada.com/blog/2015/6...placement-maps

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                        X