Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• when applying LUT in VFB, doesn't get baked when saving .jpg

Hello,
    Do i have to make something specific when trying to save image from VFB as i see it when applying LUT ?

LUT / OCIO and ICC color corrections are for preview purpose only, those are not exported when saving the image.
    Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
    Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

You can copy the current channel to the clipboard using the clipboard button in the VFB and then paste in Photoshop. This will copy the image exactly as you see it in VFB, including color corrections and LUT.
      https://www.behance.net/Oliver_Kossatz

Comment

Originally posted by svetlozar.draganov View Post
        LUT / OCIO and ICC color corrections are for preview purpose only, those are not exported when saving the image.
        OK i see, and wouldn't be possible to implement this option there ? Since it would make it much easier and faster to simply save right away from VFB and go in other app just to apply same LUT ? For example we have sets of images with same color corrections that we put in LUT and this way we would save lots of time just save images straight from Vray.

Comment

It was designed to not save those on purpose which I don't think is going to change in the future.
          The idea is that whoever works with LUT, OCIO, ICC profiles would like to transfer the RAW image into Image Editing software and continue work using the same profiles - that wouldn't be possible if profiles are baked in the output file.

Comment

Yes i understand the intention and completely agree. Just a though, that a lets say switch to make it possible to bake it in the image would be awesome, but than again i have no idea how difficult or possible that would be

Comment

Vlado mentioned in another thread that they need to work out a way of being able to save images when using these profiles. I think it's on the to do list for Vray. If it is just a still you can use the copy to clipboard button and paste directly into photoshop.
              Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Comment

Yes i know, it is fixable just in many cases it would save a lot of time. Now i am having 15 images project and using same color adjustment in all of them but still i have to save it in 32 bit and go to PS.
                It would just be more flexible. I don't want full color grading in VFB but to at least prepare in other apps and apply in VFB would be greatly appreciated, and not only by me

And i don't want to bring corona into discussion but these small things are making ppl argue for it.

Comment

Just realised this when saving an image. Seems a bit useless to not be able to save the lut version (guess that's why my previous project had different outputs,I thought it was me going crazy...). The copy/paste by-pass didn't work when also using a curve for some reason.... Would be useful to have it as a "render element" type of function: rgb colour pass, denoiser pass and lut pass or something like that. Either way, I don't understand why a copy/paste is possible but not a native option to save it.

Comment

Most users actually prefer to not apply LUT/OCIO corrections to the saved image. This is because the usual pipeline is to apply those corrections in post processing applications like Nuke/Photoshop. Having the raw image to the post processing application is much better because it allows you to switch to another color profile at any time, if the correction are pre-baked this is not possible. Maybe we'll have to think how we can have the best of both worlds.
                    Would you please let us know whether you're using post processing application if you're pipeline or not?
                    looking forward to hearing from you.

Comment

Originally posted by svetlozar.draganov View Post
                      Most users actually prefer to not apply LUT/OCIO corrections to the saved image. This is because the usual pipeline is to apply those corrections in post processing applications like Nuke/Photoshop. Having the raw image to the post processing application is much better because it allows you to switch to another color profile at any time, if the correction are pre-baked this is not possible. Maybe we'll have to think how we can have the best of both worlds.
                      Would you please let us know whether you're using post processing application if you're pipeline or not?
                      looking forward to hearing from you.
                      Hi Svetlozar,

Yes that exactly correct, we do have post production oriented pipeline. but when we need to make fast previews for revisions of any kind, we have to go everytime to other software.

What we do is that we take one image, take it to other SW, like PS or Magic bullet, prepare LUT, and then apply this in VFB. The thing is that after that we actually have to be doing screenshots since the LUT is not baked when saving jpegs even.

Of course it is best to do your post in dedicated SW, but so the workflow and fast previews, is really not handy.
                      So option to save/not save LUT would be extremely helpful.

Comment

No offence, but:

No being able to save image from VFB with LUT applied is very user unfriendly. Whats the big deal here really?
                        Why can Render Legion have this option in Corona Image Editor? Do they percieve this option differently? Clearly yes and they got it right.

Why do we have to wait for so long and accross major Vray Version upgrade for something as simple as this and perhaps apossibility to change the LUT opacity?

We have to do all our grading in Corona Image Editor for this because we just like to do most of the grading straight in the VFB but VFB in Vray is just way too forgotten when it comes to at least minor improvements.
                        Martin
                        http://www.pixelbox.cz

Comment

Originally posted by PIXELBOX_SRO View Post
                          No offence, but:

No being able to save image from VFB with LUT applied is very user unfriendly. Whats the big deal here really?
                          Why can Render Legion have this option in Corona Image Editor? Do they percieve this option differently? Clearly yes and they got it right.

Why do we have to wait for so long and accross major Vray Version upgrade for something as simple as this and perhaps apossibility to change the LUT opacity?

We have to do all our grading in Corona Image Editor for this because we just like to do most of the grading straight in the VFB but VFB in Vray is just way too forgotten when it comes to at least minor improvements.
                          Hornet's nest, kicked. A huge gripe of mine also.
                          James Burrell www.objektiv-j.com
                          Visit my Patreon patreon.com/JamesBurrell

Comment

Thanks to the feedback of everybody. There is no big deal here realy - we are constantly falling into mutually exclusive situations.
                            From one side we have a users that would like to not save those color correction and apparently from another we have users that do want to save them.
                            This is not the first time this is happening and it certainly it won't be the last one. Of course the logical way to handle this is to make an option in the VFB where user should chose proper workflow for his needs.
                            I'll make a note about that and will discuss it with our leading developers.

VFB is not forgotten for sure, we are working on VFB2 for some time now but it's not yet ready for official release. There are actually many changes to the VFB, if you open the changelog.txt file and search "VFB" you'll see that there are actually lot of things done.
                            Last edited by svetlozar.draganov; 28-08-2018, 07:08 AM.

Comment

Reference number for the reported issue: VMAX-7544

Comment

Working...
                              X