No announcement yet.

"Save all image files to single file" outputting incorrect gamma with openexr

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Save all image files to single file" outputting incorrect gamma with openexr

3ds max 2017
    gamma input 2.2
    gamma output 1.0

When trying to save the channels to a single file the gamma is outputting incorrectly with 32bit Openexr files. Now I thought I had put the wrong gamma output settings so I tested it again by saving another Openexr file but this time as an individual image channel, and made sure it was override'd the gamma and set to output 1.0 and it image came out correctly. I did another save again as an individual image channel with automatic gamma settings and it also correctly saved the image properly. This leads me to believe when saving it "all image channels as a single file" it's defaulting to a different gamma setting, but unfortunately I can't manually change the setting as the option to do so is gone. FYI, I'm using Photoshop by the way to edit these files and I have the right plugins to be able to view and display 32 bit Openexr files in case anyone is wondering. If anyone is familiar to what is going on and has an answer, I'm all ears.

Thanks.
    Last edited by S_K_I; 28-07-2017, 03:09 PM.

There should't have a difference between saving out single vs mulchannel image.
    Default settings of latest versions of 3dsmax and V-Ray are configured to output images with correct gamma profile, so we don't recomend deviating from the default settings.
    Would you please send us the same image exported without overriding gamma settings in both formats single and multichannel.
    Let us also know how do you export images, by manually clicking on the save button or automatically by 3dsmax/V-Ray output settings.
    Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
    Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

Hi very interesting topic here, i borrow to ask a question, is there any difference from " clicking on the save button or automatically by 3dsmax/V-Ray output settings." make any difference? which one is the correct way to save an image?
      Best regards,
      Jackie Teh
      --

3ds max design 2023, V-Ray 6, Update 2.1 [6.20.06 build 00000]
      AMD Threadripper 1950X @3.40 GHz | 64GB RAM | Nvidia RTX 3070 ti
      Email: info@sporadicstudio.com
      YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/SporadicStudio

Comment

Working...
      X