Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fireflies -- foolproof method to kill them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fireflies -- foolproof method to kill them?

I have this scene with a few bad fireflies (most likely due to glancing sunlight).

I have tried Max Ray Intensity down to 5. Subpixel mapping on. AA maximum of 128.

Still the fireflies remain.

Is there any guaranteed way of preventing them other than turning off the reflection?

Clamp Output also might help but it is recommended to use Max Ray Intensity instead of it.
    Using a burring filter is also an option that would help to remove those.
    My favorite one is Lens Effects, it removes the fireflies and also make the image a bit more appealing.

Let us know if those help or not.
    Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
    Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

Hi Svetlozar,
      I`ve seen you recommend LensEffects a couple of times now to hide jaggies etc. How would this work for production ? i.e where all grading/fx is done in post. Wouldn`t having bloom and glare you can`t edit afterwards be an issue or is there a way to use it without having embedded bloom etc. just to hide issues ?
      thanks
      Anthonyh

Comment

If you are doing post work, you would be doing the lens effects there too, right?

Best regards,
        Vlado
        I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

In case of production you may use the same technique directly in the Image Editing Software. Just export the image without Lens Effects and add a similar effect in the software you are using.
          Other options are:
          1.Use Soften Filter
          2.Decrease Max Ray Intensity
          3.Clamp Output with Subpixel Mapping
          4.Decrease intensity of Lights, HDRs visible in reflections.
          Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
          Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

I'm super confused now. Svetlozar, you are talking about Vray Lens Effects correct?

Vlado -- I thought Vray Lens Effects wasn't adjustable in post -- because I saw where lots of people were asking for a specific element to allow it. Has something changed?

Comment

make sure you don't have multimaterials with VRayLightMtl as submaterial. setup like that results in fireflies sometimes.
              Marcin Piotrowski
              youtube

Comment

Working...
              X