Vray GPU, 1GB vram missing from gtx 1080, 8GB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vray GPU, 1GB vram missing from gtx 1080, 8GB

I reported this in another thread, as a side note, but i thought i should create a separate thread for this so everything is a bit better organized. Sorry if it got all messy.

Apparently there's ~1 GB gpu memory missing, that seems to vanish as soon as the render starts. Multiple other gpu memory monitoring apps, such as HWMonitor or AIDA, show that 1GB gpu memory as available before rendering. As soon as vray starts rendering, that ~1 GB of gpu memory vanishes and doesnt show up in vray's statistics, but it shows up as 'used memory' in every app.
    Example:
    GTX 1080, 8GB
    1. gpu usage before render = 80MB according to HWMonitor and AIDA (gpu not connected to any display)
    2. gpu usage after rendering starts = 3.7GB used, 3.25GB free. According to vray's stats, used mem + free mem = total 6.95GB mem on gpu that has 8GB mem.
    3. While that 1GB doesnt show up in vray's statistics, Aida and Hwmonitor report ~4.8GB memory usage WHILE vray is rendering. There's that ~1GB, reported by other apps.
    4. I close vray and 3ds max, Aida and Hwmonitor report the original 80MB, or 1% gpu memory usage again.

5. I prepare a very simple scene, a plane, a dome light. I wanted to see what memory usage would a super simple scene like this need. As soon as i start rendering, my initial 80MB, or 1% gpu memory usage jumps up to 14% even with such a super simple scene. That's 13% aka ~1GB increase as reported by HWMonitor, but not reported by vray's statistics. Is this the elusive missing ~1GB, and what does this all mean?

I'm very curious if others with different gpus, more or less gpu memory experience a similar thing, if they are missing more or maybe less vram compared to their total available vram.

Sorry if my explaining skills aren't very good. Looking forward to your replies.

Which V-Ray, Windows version and which nVidia driver version is this?

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Hi Vlado, sorry i forgot to add those details.
      Vray 3.60.03 for 3ds max 2017
      Windows 10 home
      Nvidia driver 385.28

Comment

I was very curious if this happens to everyone or just me, and also my other problem with displacement on the gpu https://forums.chaosgroup.com/forum/...t-memory-usage
        because if these things only happening to me, i might have to do a complete format and reinstall everything and try again.

Comment

Working...
        X