VRayClipper in mesh mode huge slowdown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VRayClipper in mesh mode huge slowdown

I'm not 100% sure if it may be a user error, but are there statistics on slowdowns when using VRayClipper? I'm talking huge slowdowns, like without clipper (using regular boolean) the image had gone to about 20 passes in 7 minutes, whereas the one with VRayClipper objects (about 20 VRayClipper Objects) is still at pass 1 at 7 minutes.
    Are there any known issues? Is it better I use one ClipperObject with all the geometry to cut away inside it or one for each? I mean there is some more mesh resolution in the clipper scene but not THAT much.

I may be able to share a scene but just wanted to gauge if there are any known issues. Scene are some tubes basically in which some holes for screws get cut out from.
    Software:
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
    3ds Max 2016 SP4
    V-Ray Adv 3.60.04

Hardware:
    Intel Core i7-4930K @ 3.40 GHz
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 (4096MB RAM)
    64GB RAM

DxDiag

Hello,

If you could send the scene it would be most helpful.

Apart from this - yes having many clippers can slow down the render but there could always be something we missed that can be optimized. With the regular boolean the calculations are done before the rendering and the cut away geometry is no longer part of the rendering. With the clipper all geometry is there part of the rendering..

About having one vs many clippers - I'd say it is better to have multiple clippers especially if they are not intersecting.

Best regards,
    Yavor
    Yavor Rubenov
    V-Ray for 3ds Max developer

Comment

Hi Yavor. I will send you a file as soon as we got an NDA which I will take care of now. I could send you a simplified scene but I'm not sure that this makes sense since the scene is kind of special in terms of how the meshes look, concave/convex booleans etc. I will post back in this thread as soon as I sorted that out.
      Software:
      Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
      3ds Max 2016 SP4
      V-Ray Adv 3.60.04

Hardware:
      Intel Core i7-4930K @ 3.40 GHz
      NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 (4096MB RAM)
      64GB RAM

DxDiag

Comment

Working...
      X