Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP! Setting up network rendering

Hi guys,

I need help setting up network rendering.

I have my primary computer set up with online and dongle licence. (forgive me the licence system is increadibly complicated. I have a dongle and online activation I think.

I want to test network rendering and I installed Vray as a server on the rendernode PC. I then installed th online licence server but its asking me for a dongle! Why cant it find the licence?

Can Chaosgroup please simplify the licence system. You should just log in during the install process

How do I tell the rendernode that it belong to my account that has a rendernode avalible?

This has been pure hell so if anyone can lend a hand I would appreciate it.

Steve.

Please not that there is a dedicated help topic for the installation of V-Ray and it's licensing. There is a section for DR as well: https://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/...d+Installation
    Actually the system is not very complicated. While installing, make sure you select the render slave option. As long as the correct license server is specified using the IP adress, you should be fine. Works like a charm here. You don't need to worry about the online license thingy on the render slaves.
    The correct IP adress is the one of the machine your dongle is plugged into.
    Last edited by kosso_olli; 16-09-2017, 02:56 PM.
    https://www.behance.net/Oliver_Kossatz

Comment

Okay I will try this today - thank you.

Comment

I'm getting error Could Not Obtain Licence (-98

At least that means my computers can see each-other but how do I fix this error?

I went to the render node and logged used a web browser to log into the dongle using 192.168.0.60:30304 and I can see the licence server so why is it telling me it cant obtains licence when I render?

On the server I went to "Change Licence Settings" and for the primary licence server I put 192.168.0.60 and port 30304

I also put that for the workstation also
        Last edited by stevejjd; 16-09-2017, 05:04 PM.

Comment

I am able to do a network render with Backburner but not with the VRay Distributed Rendering Tab because of error -98

Comment

Comment

Symptoms:

When attempting to render, the V-Ray Progress Window shows the message "error: Could not obtain a license (-9".

Cause:

V-Ray connected to a working license server but there are no licenses

But I own a licence of VRay that comes with a render node. This is BS

Comment

Distributed Rendering needs more than one render license as you're rendering with your own machine as well as the other machine, as far as I know.
                Rens Heeren
                Generalist
                WEBSITE - IMDB - LINKEDIN - OSL SHADERS

Comment

I thought that when I purchased vray that it came with a rendernode - don't we all get 1 rendernode?

Comment

Yes, but DR would be two no?
                    Rens Heeren
                    Generalist
                    WEBSITE - IMDB - LINKEDIN - OSL SHADERS

Comment

OHHHH NOOO

Yeah I think my stupidity strikes again.

I purchased V-Ray believing that I it came with a rendernode, meaning I could have a workstation and additional render node.

I thought that was the reason it was so expensive and it was 1 reason I chose to invest in VRay

It should say Render Node Total = 2
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by stevejjd; 17-09-2017, 03:03 PM.

Comment

I think I am in the same situation. how can i purchase additional render nodes

Comment

Hi Maxnix

Yes I found the advertising language used to be misleading. I purchased my licence with the belief that it came with 1 workstation and 1 render node. I believed was the reason why V-Ray is expensive. I made my choice to invest in V-Ray based on a misunderstanding.

Yes, I should have known better and should have looked more attentively but that is the problem of being a beginner. When you start out, you know nothing, your looking to invest in a render engine and you just cant make the same quality of choice that a professional can.

I think that Chaos Group should be really clear about what they are selling. I know it makes sense to them but it needs to make scene to "dummies". Its the same reason a claymore mine says "FRONT TOWARD ENEMY"....to prevent that 1 or 2 idiots for making a stupid decision.

I don't understand why they have separated the "interface" from the "render" licence. Is there any functional benefit to having an interface licence only? If there is no benefit then they should take interface 1 and render 1 merge them together and call it workstation 1. They should call additional render slave licences, "render slave" licences.

You can by or rent vray licences from authorised re sellers.

The price is discounted depending on how many you buy.

Comment

Working...
                          X