Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dual gpu problem opencl select crash

Hi, guys,
    i work now on win10, ryzen 7 1700, Asus crosshair hero, 3dsmax 2015 and Vray 2.50.01. Main graphic card is Quadro4000 for viewport and i tried to add an old GTX460 for RT. But Vray RT every time work with quadro, not with GTX460. I tried to set openCL device for RT in ocldeviceselect, but application everytime crashes immediately. I tried to set enviroment variables in OS, but it didnt work. Im not sure if max2015 and Vray 2.5 is supported under win10. My plan is to upgrade to Vray 3 und add some GTX 1070, but im not sure if problem will not persist. Any advice for me? Click image for larger version

Name:	vray 2.5 cl select crash screen.jpg
Views:	420
Size:	246.3 KB
ID:	973501

We have free 30 day trial for V-Ray 3. Download and install it, and make sure to use the CUDA render (not the OpenCL one). Report if there are any troubles

Best,
    Blago.
    V-Ray fan.
    Looking busy around GPUs ...
    RTX ON

Comment

Doe it mean Vray 2.5 isnt supported under win10?

Comment

Originally posted by vitruvius maximus View Post
        Doe it mean Vray 2.5 isnt supported under win10?
        2.5 does not support Maxwell in CUDA. And the OpenCL drivers seems to not be able to run the V-Ray GPU code.
        2.5 was released before these GPU architecture were on the market :/.

Best,
        Blago.
        V-Ray fan.
        RTX ON

Comment

Thanx for answer,
          we dont understand each other
          Iam on GTX460 (has GF104/114 chip = Fermi architecture) and Quadro4000 (has GF100 = Fermi architecture). This two old cards on Asus Crosshair VI with AMD Ryzen 7 1700 and Win10 - application ocldeviceselect.exe crashes alltime. On Win7+xeon W3670 HPz400 worked fine. From GTX6xx is Kepler generation. Maxwell is from Gtx9xx, Pascal is GTX10xx. The main question was, why is ocldevice.exe crashing. I m planning to go to GTX10xx with vray 3.xx. But nobody knows date when it comes .
          Anyway, let it be, I know, i have an old specs here. I tried to install 3,6 Vray and must say, you are doing good job. There is really big speed improvement over 2.5, so to upgrade is a must. Just wanted to know, if there is something else under win10 i have to take into consideration to work properly.
          Sincerely,
          Roman

Comment

I made some CPU rendering tests on scene with 10 293 478 faces, 1132 geometry objects - architectural exterior:

Vray 2.5 + win7 prof 64 + 18GB RAM + max2015 - HP Z400 Xeon W3670, network rendering backburner, 1200x750px : : 00:27:54
            Vray 3.6 + win7 prof 64 + 18GB RAM + max2015 - HP Z400 Xeon W3670, network rendering backburner, 1200x750px : : 00:15:47
            Vray 3.6 in legacy mode + win7 prof 64 + 18GB RAM + max2015 - HP Z400 Xeon W3670, network rendering backburner, 1200x750px : : 00:14:54

Vray 2.5. + win10 prof 64 + 16 GB RAM + max2015, custom build, AMD Ryzen 7 1700 OC3,6, network rendering backburner, 1200x750px : : 00:12:31
            Im putting wood into forest, but impressive!

Comment

Ah, sorry. I have miss read and though that the Quadro is a Maxwell one. Very strange that ocldeviceselect doesnt find it. This means that there is some os/driver problem maybe - all ocldeviceselect does is to ask the OS what devices are there and to visualize them.

Does it work with 3.6?

Best,
              Blago.
              V-Ray fan.
              RTX ON

Comment

HI Savage309,
                today i installed older driver from 376 quadro field, 376.33, there was 377. With Vray 2.5 problem persits, ocldeviceselelect.exe, crashed immediately. Then I installed Vray Trial 3,6 with 376 drivers, and everything works fine. Actually I have just Quadro in system, but oclselect doesnt crash and see my Quadro 4000. Now i will have no possibility to be fysically on place to add GTX into system, after that i will loosing the rest. I found on forum this thread about mixed use Quadro/GTX https://forums.chaosgroup.com/forum/...quadro-and-gtx and it seems to be the same situation like mine, just about rhino not a 3dsmax. Im just curious about use of GTX drivers for quadro card?! Quadro want I have for viewport, GTX for RT. In fact system win10 recognized both cards (when i tried it before) but problem was to sign GTX to render RT. GTX was able to work like standard card with monitor output, but Vray 2.5. allways run RT on Quadro without possibility to assign it to GTX. So, we will see.
                Thank you for help. i will give you message, how and if it works.
                Roman

Comment

HI, some comparision between Vray 2.5 and 3.6 with cpu :
                  win10 pro 64+AMD Ryzen 7 1700 OC3,6, 16GB 3200, Quadro 4000, Samsung NVMe,on scene with 10 293 478 faces, 1132 geometry objects - architectural exterior, backburner, 3dsmax2015, 1200x750px:
                  Vray 2.5 - 00:12:31
                  Vray 3.6 - 00:06:15

in comparision between my old comp HPZ400 Vray 2.5. for 00:27:54 to new comp with Ryzen and Vray 3.6 for 00:06:15, it is cca 4,5 x faster.
                  Thanks
                  roman

Comment

in comparision between my old comp HPZ400 Vray 2.5. for 00:27:54 to new comp with Ryzen and Vray 3.6 for 00:06:15, it is cca 4,5 x faster.
                    Thanks
                    roman
                    Seems like quite an improvement

Thanks for sharing,
                    Best,
                    Blago.
                    V-Ray fan.
                    RTX ON

Comment

HI,
                      its always so by versions changing - I need help with :
                      In previous version I used to render Vray Adv in VFB. Detail errors not visible in low resolution came up in big res. Then I worked with activeshade on detail in Vray RT to correct it, and then just rendered region in VFB with VFB ungachged to save rendertime. In Vray 3.6 Vray RT works in VFB and my workflow is gone. When I try to render RT in activeshade window to remain VFB unchanged, there is difference in Gamma implication. I have to go to Vray production render rollout Color mapping to switchoff Gamma from 2,2 to 1 (Mode: color mapping and gamma). If i dont use activeshade window, but VFB for vray RT, everything works fine, and image results passes with old projects. But if I use activeshade instead VFB for Vray RT, gamma is broken. How could I set up it to have the same results with old projects and now across all max/vray enviroment?
                      Any suggestion to help?
                      roman

PS. thats all after forum and help search, no solution found
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	screen loewensteistrasse.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	300.7 KB
ID:	974165
                      when i push button copy to max frame buffer in VFB - gamma is gone
                      Last edited by vitruvius maximus; 13-11-2017, 12:01 PM.

Comment

HI,
                        its always so by versions changing - I need help with :
                        In previous version I used to render Vray Adv in VFB. Detail errors not visible in low resolution came up in big res. Then I worked with activeshade on detail in Vray RT to correct it, and then just rendered region in VFB with VFB ungachged to save rendertime. In Vray 3.6 Vray RT works in VFB and my workflow is gone. When I try to render RT in activeshade window to remain VFB unchanged, there is difference in Gamma implication. I have to go to Vray production render rollout Color mapping to switchoff Gamma from 2,2 to 1 (Mode: color mapping and gamma). If i dont use activeshade window, but VFB for vray RT, everything works fine, and image results passes with old projects. But if I use activeshade instead VFB for Vray RT, gamma is broken. How could I set up it to have the same results with old projects and now across all max/vray enviroment?
                        Any suggestion to help?
                        roman

PS. thats all after forum and help search, no solution found
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	screen loewensteistrasse.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	300.7 KB
ID:	974165
                        when i push button copy to max frame buffer in VFB - gamma is gone
                        Turn off the 3ds max gamma correction in Customize/Preferences/Gamma and LUT.
                        If it was that easy, it would have already been done

Peter Matanov
                        Chaos

Comment

Hi,
                          to explain, Iam not wizard in CG, just architect whit need for every day smooth worklflow, to use all good stuff from old projects to produce new picture in time and in required quality. I remember we found in very hard way workflow in 2.5 vray, to remain colors, maps unchanged from input thru work to output at the end. In which way could help to us to switch off gamma in 3dsmax? True is, the activeshade window and VFB will be the same. But maps, colors, all library would be changed. If I have green grass texture, I have to do all for that, so the texture goes unchanged thru all the process to the final rendering. In help docs on internet is written:
                          "Color mapping and gamma ? Both color mapping and gamma are burned into the final image. This corresponds to Don't affect colors (adaptation only) parameter set to disabled in previous V-Ray versions."
                          and
                          "Color mapping only (no gamma) ? Only color mapping is burned into the final image and not gamma correction. This is the default option. V-Ray will still proceed to sample the image as though both color mapping and gamma are applied, but will only apply the color correction (Linear, Reinhard, etc.) to the final result."
                          If I load an old project, let it be so, how it was with gamma setting in max and in Vray. I have the final render same how it was, and settings are:gamma in 3ds max switched on, value 2,2, affect color selectors and material editor, bitmap files imput gamma 2.2, the question of Vray in witch mode i want to continue - new or old doesnt change anything - colors and textures are same - material editor, textures, result in rendering - everything works fine as expected, in the same way as before in Vray 2.5 Color mapping rollout is Linear multiply, gamma 2,2, mode - color mapping and gamma.

Click image for larger version  Name:	screenshot vray old project with settings.jpg Views:	1 Size:	395.4 KB ID:	974264
                          How could help to it to switch off Gamma settings in 3ds max?:
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	screenshot vray old project with settings off.jpg Views:	1 Size:	405.1 KB ID:	974265
                          just one thing is OK - now we have result of VFB and Active shade the same. So bad as it could be...
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	screenshot vray old project with settings off2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	393.5 KB ID:	974266
                          so back to old settings with 3dsmax gamma/lut correction on. Just one thing could help to have same and good result in VFB and active shade - go to production mode, vray frame buffer rollout, switch off Enable built-in frame buffer to activate activeshade output, in color mapping rollout switch mode to color mapping only, , switch back from production render mode to activeshade mode, render in active shade with Vray RT,and then the result will be the same:
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	screenshot vray old project with settings off3.jpg Views:	1 Size:	415.2 KB ID:	974267
                          Its little bit complicated und frustrating, because Activeshade rendering mode isnt activeshade but VFB and if u want to use activeshade you have to switch off VFB and change the Gamma Vray settings. In old version RT was fully implemented to active shade (with all settings of Vray) and there was a possibility to have in same time two outputs - activeshade+Production render, now in 3.6, it is just one output - all in same VFB. Im little dissapointed, becouse RT couldnt make all as production renderer (see table of supported futures), so it isnt on same standard. I think it makes sense to have RT for preview and Advance for production. In some situations make sense to use huge power of graphic cards for final output, but it is different story. There are differences in markets and maybe to make fast an animation in GFX industry like preview is good, but i dont understand why to cut out the possibility to have in architecture two monitors, on one i have big picture for bilboard, rendered couple of hours and on other monitor to edit it in RT and after correction render just a region. There is only one way to hold this workflow - load an image in VFB an then render a region. But if image wouldnt be OK, again, you have allways to store image, render in VFB in RT or production on lower resolution, then back load big image and render region again. This could help, but it is not so quick responsive. But i think this is the way where could i find the right workflow. But i guess it isnt switching off 3ds max gamma correction. I have to respect there is anymore possibility to use two outputs - VFB +Activeshade, just VFB and in this area to find solution for me. There is a lot of other improvements which are great, maybe im alone to be said to loosing active shade for work in same time with VFB.
                          Thank you.
                          Roman
                          Last edited by vitruvius maximus; 14-11-2017, 07:20 AM.

Comment

So, guys,
                            Vray 3,6 in machine both cards too, quadro for viewport, gtx for RT

Im running on Vray RT 3.60.03, Max2015. In one slot PCIe 3.0x16 Quadro4000 an in PCIe 3.0x8 is GTX460, in case of use this two cards both slots are runnig PCIe x8. Quadro has drivers 376.33 and GTX has 382.33. I downloaded benchmark 1.0 scene from http://ftp.chaosgroup.com/support/benchmark_scene.zip. Just open it, select card for GPU rendering, and have a problem:
                            c++/cpu 3:50 !!
                            quadro4000 18:39,8
                            gtx460 14:15

What i a m doing wrong? Just only cpu has times i expected. Cards are totally out.

Click image for larger version  Name:	cpu.jpg Views:	1 Size:	375.9 KB ID:	974621Click image for larger version  Name:	quadro.jpg Views:	1 Size:	399.0 KB ID:	974622Click image for larger version  Name:	gtx460.jpg Views:	1 Size:	398.9 KB ID:	974623

Whar I have to change?
                            And one thing more - I guess RT should stop after reaching 512 path/pixel. But it doesnt, it continues to infinity and I have to stop it manually - it means to show on monitor and immediately to stop rendering after 512 is reached, afterwards RT leaves at 512, but time continues to run...
                            When I run benchmark application with quadro, it reaches approx 7:30 and GTX460 doesnt run because of just 1 GB ram...
                            Last edited by vitruvius maximus; 16-11-2017, 11:17 AM.

Comment

Check my reply in the V-Ray benchmark thread.

Best,
                              Blago.
                              V-Ray fan.
                              RTX ON

Comment

Working...
                              X