Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannot separate sky intensity from sun intensity

Hi,

I have hit a roadblock in setting up V-Ray's Sun&Sky system. What I need to achieve is simple, I just need to separate sky intensity from the sun intensity. If I just reduce VraySun intensity, then the VraySky intensity reduces with it. If I drop VraySky into material editor, and enable specify sun node, then the two are unlinked, however the Sun disc is still part of the Sky environment map rather than VraySun itself. The problem here is that my sun has intensity of 0.25 and size multiplier of 4, and I need the Sun disc on the Sky environment map to reflect that.

If I reduce sun intensity inside of VraySky map, then Sky intensity gets reduced too. If I keep the sun intensity in the VraySky map at 1 to keep the sky bright, and increase size multiplier to 4, then I'll get sun disc that has actually a lot more energy for eye rays than what actually arrives on the surfaces in the scene.

Furthermore, name "sun intensity multiplier" is also misleading in this case, as it's more of a sky intensity multiplier. (And yes, I do know that technically sky illumination is just sun light scattered inside of the atmosphere gases, so the two should be linked, but separate Sun and Sky control is quite frequent artistic requirement )

I am currently in a process of converting a Corona scene for some comparison purposes, but unfortunately I can not migrate the setup due to this limitation. I've already posted request for having Sun disc separate from sky map (so that VraySun can render without VraySky) about a year ago, so I am bumping that one again too

If there's some workaround I could try in the meanwhile, then I would be thankful to hear about it.

Thanks
Working...
X