High Quality Option in the Viewports - does this work in VRay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High Quality Option in the Viewports - does this work in VRay

Hello, with Mental Ray the High Quality Option for the viewport shows me a first impression of the lighting and the position of the shadows. With VRay I got only a black model or, if I have some VRay lights a totally white model. The strenght of the light or the settings of the environment (VRay Exposure Control) seems to have no influence to this matter. Is there a way to get similar a viewport image with shadows and with illumination with scene light like in Mental Ray? Can it be a graphics adapter or driver problem? (MAX 2018, VRay Adv 3.60.04, Nvidia GTX 580 3GB (Gainward Phantom) Driver 23.21.13.8831
    The rendered images have the right lighting, so as I want to have it. So I only work with the "Standard" display option for the viewport...
    Workstation: Ryzen 9 5950x @ 4,20GHz 64 GB RAM, Nvidia Quadro P5000, Win10 Prof.<br>Rendernode: AMD Threadripper 2990wx 64 GB RAM, Win 10 Prof. MAX 2025.2, VRay 6.2, ForestPack, RailClone, RichDirt, KStudio ProjectManager....

You probably have a map/material applied that can't be displayed in the HQ viewport, hence it shows as black, but I can't be sure without checking out the scene.
    The viewport turning white when you have a light and V-Ray Exposure control is a known bug, though, and is on our to-do list.
    Using the IPR for preview while setting up your scene lighting is a good option you can try.
    Miroslav Ivanov
    Chaos Cosmos

Comment

Hello Miroslav,
      thank you for your answer. It is a good option to use the IPR because it is a better prewiev than the High Quality Option. But it seems that the IPR doesn?t recognise the Camera Correction Modifier when a 3DSMAX targeted camera is used. See the attached screenshot. When I use the VRay Physical Camera with the "Auto Vertical Tilt Correction" all works fine. At the moment I begin to like the VRay Physical Camera because of the better options. But there is one issue for me: When I click on the camera or the camera target there is always the complete camera choosen. Only with the scene explorer I can choose either the camera or the target of the camera. Is there another way to choose one or the another.
      In the online manual there are mentined two buttons for guessing vert ans horiz tilt. I cant find it (see 2nd screenshot).

"Use the Guess vert tilt and Guess horiz tilt buttons in order to achieve the 2-point perspective. For more information, see Vertical Tilt example below.
      auto guess vert. ? When enabled, preserves the vertical tilt when the camera is being animated."

Workstation: Ryzen 9 5950x @ 4,20GHz 64 GB RAM, Nvidia Quadro P5000, Win10 Prof.<br>Rendernode: AMD Threadripper 2990wx 64 GB RAM, Win 10 Prof. MAX 2025.2, VRay 6.2, ForestPack, RailClone, RichDirt, KStudio ProjectManager....

Comment

The Camera Correction modifier is not yet supported in IPR. You can use the vertical and horizontal tilt in the V-Ray Physical camera, as you mentioned, but looking at the screenshots, you're actually using the built-in 3ds Max Physical camera. To use our own V-Ray Physical camera, you can run the vrayCreateVRayPhysicalCamera() command in MaxScript Listener.
        Miroslav Ivanov
        Chaos Cosmos

Comment

Your right, it is indeed another Physical Camera. If I use your command I get a VrayPhysicalCamera. But when I click on the button for Physical Camera in the VRay Toolbar, which comes with the installation, I get a Pysical Camera of 3dsMAX. Is my installation wrong? Should the Physical Camera button of the VRay Toolbar insert a VrayPhysicalCamera?
          On the other hand I read, that the Physical Camera of 3dsMAX is a result of a cooperation between the ChaosGroup and Autodesk.
          See here: http://www.learnvray.com/demo/physical/
          So which camera you would suggest, which one is able to give me more realistic results. Difficult to decide for me because more than 95% of the options of both camera types are the same (I did a step by step comparison)
          The only big disadvatage of the VRayPhysicalCamera is that I can not select and move the target and that I can?t move it with my 3dconnexion SpaceMouse in the VrayCamera viewport (or am I blind?).
          Last edited by 3d-laboratory; 22-02-2018, 10:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 3d-laboratory View Post
            But when I click on the button for Physical Camera in the VRay Toolbar, which comes with the installation, I get a Pysical Camera of 3dsMAX. Is my installation wrong?
            No, the installation is fine. V-Ray Physical Camera has been deprecated, and it was only there for backward compatibility. That's why it can be created only via MaxScript and that why 3dsMax Physical Camera is created by pressing that button.

On the other hand I read, that the Physical Camera of 3dsMAX is a result of a cooperation between the ChaosGroup and Autodesk.
            Thats correct, both cameras a basically the same. The only difference is that 3dsMax one is better integrated within 3dsMax.

So which camera you would suggest, which one is able to give me more realistic results. Difficult to decide for me because more than 95% of the options of both camera types are the same.
            For version 3.x we recommend using 3ds Max native Physical Camera unless something else requires using VRayPhysical Camera. This will change in V-Ray Next since we decided to return VRayPhysicalCam back and I guess that it would be prefered camera when rendering with V-Ray.

The only big disadvatage of the VRayPhysicalCamera is that I can not select and move the target and that I can?t move it with my 3dconnexion SpaceMouse in the VrayCamera viewport (or am I blind?)..
            VRayPhysicalCam target is "invisible" in the viewport until it is selected from the Scene Explorer. Try the following.
            1.Create VRayCam.
            2.See if Scene explorer window if Camera Target is visible. If not disable and then enable Targeted option inside Cam Props - this should make the target visible in the Explorer.
            3.Select the Cam Target in explorer and move it the viewport - this should make the target visible in the viewport and from now on it will work as expected.
            Last edited by svetlozar.draganov; 23-02-2018, 08:34 AM.
            Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
            Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

Working...
            X