Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPUs out of memory?

Hello,

I keep getting an out of memory error when I try to use the IPR preview using vray RT with my GPUs. I have 2x GTX 970s. I've tried using both of them, one of them and Hybrid with the CPU but the same thing. What I don't understand is why it's happening when I can use IPR with my CPU only no problems. The scene isn't even big. It's just a experimental scene with 2x hairs, a floor and some books...
    Attached Files

What happens if you change the texture mode from "full size" to "resize textures" (the default 512 is a bit too low, you can try 1024 or a bit more for example)?
    Also, keep in mind that the scene has to fit on both GPUs. If you use one of them for display, the viewport (or other apps) could have allocated some memory on it as well. Windows 10 had some version which could allocate up to 1GB of GPU memory by default. The GPUs that are used for monitor are marked with * in the V-Ray GPU device select list.

Best,
    Blago.
    Last edited by savage309; 24-02-2018, 05:07 AM.
    V-Ray fan.
    Looking busy around GPUs ...
    RTX ON

Comment

Originally posted by savage309 View Post
      What happens if you change the texture mode from "full size" to "resize textures" (the default 512 is a bit too low, you can try 1024 or a bit more for example)?
      Also, keep in mind that the scene has to fit on both GPUs. If you use one of them for display, the viewport (or other apps) could have allocated some memory on it as well. Windows 10 had some version which could allocate up to 1GB of GPU memory by default. The GPUs that are used for monitor are marked with * in the V-Ray GPU device select list.

Best,
      Blago.
      Neither worked. I've got my spare GPU enabled and left the other for the viewport and tried what you suggested but neither worked.

Comment

Originally posted by dylan86.exe View Post

Neither worked. I've got my spare GPU enabled and left the other for the viewport and tried what you suggested but neither worked.
        Uh, sorry for that.
        Is it possible for you to share the scene so we can check what is going on?

Best,
        Blago.
        V-Ray fan.
        RTX ON

Comment

Originally posted by savage309 View Post

Uh, sorry for that.
          Is it possible for you to share the scene so we can check what is going on?

Best,
          Blago.
          Sure. Thanks
          Also, while your at it - the light in my scene I'm having a problem with. 1500lm for it seems too dark for the room. But I know this is a realistic number. However, if I turn the value up to 100
          ,000lm, the lighting seems more realistic - but then the light cover that is covering the light (2sided material) it's exposure gets blown out... What should I do?

SCENE:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1pY...PsKdBRZZDqYSz2

Comment

Our QAs will inspect the scene and we will get back. Thanks!

Best,
            Blago.
            V-Ray fan.
            RTX ON

Comment

Also, while your at it - the light in my scene I'm having a problem with. 1500lm for it seems too dark for the room. But I know this is a realistic number. However, if I turn the value up to 100
              ,000lm, the lighting seems more realistic - but then the light cover that is covering the light (2sided material) it's exposure gets blown out... What should I do?
              but thats how it would be in real life, no? unless you compress the shit out of it with a slog or vlog. In the end, if you would photograph it and edit the RAW file, you would bring down the highlights to get as much info out of the lamp as possible. But since you can export HDR images, you wont have any problem editing the blown out parts in post...
              Add Your Light LogoCheck out my tutorials, assets, free samples and weekly newsletter:
              www.AddYourLight.com
              Always looking to learn, become better and serve better.

Comment

Hello,

I keep getting an out of memory error when I try to use the IPR preview using vray RT with my GPUs. I have 2x GTX 970s. I've tried using both of them, one of them and Hybrid with the CPU but the same thing. What I don't understand is why it's happening when I can use IPR with my CPU only no problems. The scene isn't even big. It's just a experimental scene with 2x hairs, a floor and some books...
                What is your V-Ray version? Can you update and try rendering the scene again?
                If it was that easy, it would have already been done

Peter Matanov
                Chaos

Comment

Originally posted by slizer View Post

Hi Slizer,

I just updated to 3.04 but still the same issue. It's telling me I'm out of memory...

Comment

This is really confusing. What should I be using for previewing and working in real-time? There's 3x options in the target: active shade, production and iteractive. At the moment it's in productive where I've left it from the beginning. I read the documentation but I couldnt understand the difference.

Comment

First you must choose what will be your Production (final) engine. For keeping things the same between the real-time work and final frames, the engine for both must be the same.

So if you want to use your GPUs (as you pointed out) it will be best if you update to the newest beta (Next 2), as it contains the best V-Ray GPU version released yet.

3.04 (I guess you mean 3.4) is pretty old and V-Ray GPU has evolved a lot since that.

Peter Matanov
                      Chaos

Comment

First you must choose what will be your Production (final) engine. For keeping things the same between the real-time work and final frames, the engine for both must be the same.

So if you want to use your GPUs (as you pointed out) it will be best if you update to the newest beta (Next 2), as it contains the best V-Ray GPU version released yet.

3.04 (I guess you mean 3.4) is pretty old and V-Ray GPU has evolved a lot since that.
                        Sorry I meant 3.60. I don't know why i said 3.04. I don't believe I have access to the Beta versions as I'm on a EDU licence?

Comment

matanov any chance of getting a solution to this??

Comment

any chance of getting a solution to this??

Comment

You've sent only the scene file without the textures and it renders fine on my machine (3.60.04).

Peter Matanov
                              Chaos

Comment

Working...
                              X