Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mesh Light: Applying mesh light to an object moves picked geometry out of positon.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesh Light: Applying mesh light to an object moves picked geometry out of positon.

Hello everyone. This one has been bugging me for a while!

I hope the images are clear enough, but to be certain I essentially have one object as sphere's/elements positioned over numerous floors in a tower. I want to use these element sphere's as internal lights, controlled by one or two different mesh lights for different light temperatures.

The problem I'm having though is that when picking the object as a mesh, it tends to move my geometry out of position. At first I thought this may have to do with pivot points etc, but I have aligned them to one another and this still occurs. This isn't a huge problem as I can just move them back into position, but still rather annoying!

Any ideas?

Hi DanSHP
    Did you find a solution for this?
    The same is happening for me in VRay for Max Ver 5.20.02
    I also tried adjusting the pivots of the vray lights and the source geometry before choosing & aligning to 0,0,0 - but the newly created Mesh Lights always seem to move.
    What's also anoying is that you can't snap to the light geometry so have to re-align everything by eye which is slow.

Anyone found a permanent solution to this?
    Thanks, Thomas
    Director, Flowstorm Ltd

www.flowstorm.co.uk

Comment

I haven't no sorry

Comment

ThomasHorsley I don't understand the issue. Could you share a video reproduction?
        Aleksandar Hadzhiev | chaos.com
        Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Before selecting the geometry apply a reset xform modifier and it should be ok.
          pixel bender @ panoptikon

Comment

I've been having this problem for years as well. Please check the attached video and the 3ds Max 2023 scene for a test.
            Attached Files
            Aleksandar Mitov
            www.renarvisuals.com
            office@renarvisuals.com

3ds Max 2023.2.2 + Vray 6 Update 2.1
            AMD Ryzen 9 9950X 16-core
            64GB DDR5
            GeForce RTX 3090 24GB + GPU Driver 551.86

Comment

this has been a nightmare for at least 3 years now.
              i use it a lot and have had to resort to the xform technique.

Comment

I see. This seems to happen to geometry with "baked" transformations, hence why Reset xForm resolves it. I've logged the issue (internal bug-tracker id: VMAX-12327) for developer investigation.
                Aleksandar Hadzhiev | chaos.com
                Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Working...
                X