File Saving Errors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• File Saving Errors

I don't think this has anything to do with Vray. I think it's a problem with Max, but maybe specific to my system. I have had this problem with previous version of Max so I don't think it's version specific. Posting here to see if anyone else experiences this or has any suggestions for trouble shooting problem.

Of course, it's intermittent. It seems to start happening when file/scene size gets beyond a certain size. Not sure what that size is maybe around 500M. The first symptom is the AutoBAK will deliver a "can't save file" error message and ask if I want to try again. When I try again it usually saves the scene in the scene folder, not as an autobak, and seems to save it ok. This progresses to where when doing save from the within the scene, not autobak, I start getting the same error messages. I can almost, but no always, save again successfully. sometimes I need to make it a new name IOW from scene08>saves as scene09. Needless to say this is a time sink but more importantly it causes me a lot of distraction and worry that my scene may become corrupt. That has not happened....yet.

another symptom is that AutoBAK takes about 4 times longer that a regular file>save. This whole thing has become so problematic that for the second time on a project, maybe more than that not sure, I have disabled AutoBAK, and I don't like to do that. I never had this trouble in the past. But maybe the last couple of years. Possibly started with new work station/win 10 but can't be sure of that either.

Then sometimes it will save autobak and regular save as with no trouble.

As of yesterday a new twist has appeared. This problem, when it doesn't save, is renaming the scene file and saving with a date and I think time code appended to the file name.and a screwy file extension of .$sv. Screen shot attahced.

Has anyone else experienced these can't save file errors, and then you get prompted to try again and it saves?
    mark f.
    openrangeimaging.com

Max 2023.3.4 | Vray 6 update 2 | Win 10

Core i7 6950 | GeForce RTX 2060 | 64 G RAM

here are the error messages that appear in sequence
    mark f.
    openrangeimaging.com

Comment

It could happen if you run out of disk space on the drive where your temporary Windows folder is. Normally 3ds Max writes to the temp folder and then moves the file to the desired save path. I think there is an option in the preferences to turn this off and instead to write directly to the final file.

Best regards,
      Vlado
      I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
        Normally 3ds Max writes to the temp folder and then moves the file to the desired save path.
        I have not much experience in coding or file management by software but that seems like a really bad idea to me? Why would you essentially artifically make the file saving step taking longer that way? Is there a reason for such a default behaviour?

Software:
        Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
        3ds Max 2016 SP4
        V-Ray Adv 3.60.04

Hardware:
        Intel Core i7-4930K @ 3.40 GHz
        NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 (4096MB RAM)
        64GB RAM

DxDiag

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
          It could happen if you run out of disk space on the drive where your temporary Windows folder is. Normally 3ds Max writes to the temp folder and then moves the file to the desired save path. I think there is an option in the preferences to turn this off and instead to write directly to the final file.

Best regards,
          Vlado
          I have plenty of disc space on ssd but I am going to look into this. Maybe the temp folder has a size limit or some other space related issue. Definitely going to check out preferences for write direct to file option. Like Art48, I can?t think of why that is even done, probably some reason.

Very helpful suggestions. Thank you!
          mark f.
          openrangeimaging.com

Comment

I could not find anything in the preferences that allows to turn off the write to temporary folder option.
            mark f.
            openrangeimaging.com

Comment

I think it's the "Backup on Save" option.

Best regards,
              Vlado
              Attached Files
              I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Cool. I'm going to try that. I will be away from work for the next two weeks but when I get back I will test this and post the outcome here. Thanks for your help and informed suggestion!
                mark f.
                openrangeimaging.com

Comment

I started a new scene which is not yet very large. I was getting the error messages posted above. I unchecked the Backup on Save and the problem went away. I had Autobak unchecked. When I check/enable AutoBAK I get the same error messages.

So, for some reason, my system will not save the autobak or maxbak files. I don't like that, I want to use at least Autobak. I have no idea what could be causing this. As far as I know this is unique to my system. I'm unsure of what to do. Maybe wait until I start using 2019 and see if problem persists. I'm pretty sure I had the same trouble with 2017 so I'm not thinking it's version specific. I suspect some windows or system setting.
                  mark f.
                  openrangeimaging.com

Comment

Update:

Now with a fairly simple scene, I get the file save error message every time I try to save the scene. Not just on autobak. I have disabled autobak and un-checked Backup on Save (per above).

Every time I save I get the error then go thru the next couple of error messages the last one asking "do you want to try to save again" I select "yes" and it, almost always, saves on that second try. Occasionally takes three try's. If I try to save as it will save as the new file name, but, the old file name is still the active scene. IOW I have scene03.max open. I save and get the error messages. On the "do you want to try again" message I choose yes and then "save as" scene04.max. that works but scene03.max is still the active scene that is loaded.

I found the info below with google search. I have tried all the things suggested there but problem remains
                    https://knowledge.autodesk.com/suppo...n-3ds-Max.html

I think that the most recent windows 10 update may have caused this problem to now be even more pervasive. I suspect it may have something to do with file permissions or I don't know what else. It's really affecting my work.
                    mark f.
                    openrangeimaging.com

Comment

I got lucky and may have determined the cause of the problem. I have a Western Digital MyCoud EX2 NAS that is set up to sync/backup all the files on my workstation. I disabled that and the file save errors seem to have stopped. I don't have any other problems with the NAS. No problem with pshop or ACAD or etc. Only max.
                      mark f.
                      openrangeimaging.com

Comment

Working...
                      X