Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vray 3.6 - Difficult to select V-ray lights (from Max 2017 and up)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vray 3.6 - Difficult to select V-ray lights (from Max 2017 and up)

Hello,

It's been a problem since the release of 3ds max 2017, so I've been stuck with 2016 as everything is fine with it (regarding this problem of course ), it's very difficult to select a light (only Vray lights, not 3ds Max ones) in a viewport when there's any other geometry behind it.
    You have to click many times in place to finaly get to the light, as if the light was the last object behind everything else. Of course it's a little less annoying in wireframe mode, but it's still pretty much unusable in any normal condition.

I'm perfectly aware that I could use a selection filter, however when quickly working on a scene and multitasking, it's not an ideal solution. It's working fine in 2016, so what has changed since 2017 ? It's the same in 2018 and 2019.

Thanks !

Bumping this thread, if you don't mind

Comment

My solution is SHIFT + G, it hides all the geometry, then if you have too much cameras to select the lights, I do SHIFT + C, or too much shapes SHIFT + S, so if I want to quickly select without using selection filters I use these shortcuts:

SHIFT + G : Hide unhide Geometry
      SHIFT + C : Hide unhide Cameras
      SHIFT + S : Hide unhide Shapes
      SHIFT + L : Hide unhide Lights
      A.

---------------------
      www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

Thanks Vitzioen, very helpful shortcuts !

However I really feel it's a bug, because it appeared in 3ds max 2017 and the default 3ds lights do not display this behavior, the depth ordering of objects is perfectly consistent, as it should be. I can't think of any reason whatsoever for putting all lights behind all other objects !
        Last edited by labulle; 08-06-2018, 06:04 AM.

Comment

Selecting in 3dsmax has only gotten worse over the years. I don't know if the lightselect problem is one that Max created or something that should be checked by the Chaosgroup guys. As always we adapt untill there are better solutions, hence the shortcuts
          A.

---------------------
          www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

Of course !

I chose to stick with 3ds max 2016 as a workaround, but It could be great to evolve.

I'd simply like to have the official stance on this, maybe it could be corrected and simply has been overlooked ?

Comment

Dome Lights always seem to be a pain to click on. I`m looking at one in my camera viewport right now and it just sits there refusing to be selected, taunting me and giggling.

Comment

One more vote for this. It seems like only Vray lights exhibit this behavior.
                Max 2023.2.2 + Vray 6 Update 2.1 ( 6.20.06 )
                AMD Ryzen 7950X 16-core | 64GB DDR5 RAM 6400 Mbps | MSI GeForce RTX 3090 Suprim X 24GB (rendering) | GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE 11GB (display) | GPU Driver 546.01 | NVMe SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | Win 10 Pro x64 22H2

Comment

Hi all,

Yes, this is a known issue and we will try to fix it. Will post here when we have any news!
                  Tashko Zashev | chaos.com
                  Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

V-Ray Lights & Physical camera selection is improved for the next official release.

Comment

Hi Tashko,
                      any chance this fix will work it`s way into a 3.6 nightly ?
                      thanks
                      anthonyh

Comment

Let me ask our devs and will reply back later.

Comment

Originally posted by anthonyh View Post
                          Hi Tashko,
                          any chance this fix will work it`s way into a 3.6 nightly ?
                          thanks
                          anthonyh
                          Which Max version you are using ?

Comment

Hi Tashko,
                            we`re still on 3dsmax 2016 although we may jump to 2019 at some point depending on the patches !
                            thanks
                            anthonyh

Comment

Originally posted by anthonyh View Post
                              Hi Tashko,
                              we`re still on 3dsmax 2016 although we may jump to 2019 at some point depending on the patches !
                              thanks
                              anthonyh
                              The changes we did for the viewport selections are mostly addressed to versions 2018 - 2019, perhaps in 2016 there won't be any big difference. Do you plan to upgrade to V-Ray Next when you switch over the latest Max release?

Comment

Working...
                              X