Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RenderMask script no longer working with Vray Next?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You should contact the author.
    Lele
    Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
    ----------------------
    emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
    The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Takes him months to reply unfortunately...
      James Burrell www.objektiv-j.com
      Visit my Patreon patreon.com/JamesBurrell

Comment

Im pretty sure he has said that he doesnt use vray anymore hence not writing updates.

Comment

Unless he's formally abandoning the script, there isn't much we can do.
          Even if he did, there is no guarantee we'd be able to make it work: the fact that it renders black is because we dropped support for the legacy stuff he was using, and there's a chance it may not work at all with VrayMtl or analogous.
          Lele
          ----------------------

Disclaimer:
          The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

I think the last issue I had was that the script doesn't recognize vraybitmaps... and I don't have the expertise to fix that part of the script.

Comment

It's a fairly complicated bit of code.
              For me, it didn't work whatever i tried, and threw no error whatsoever.
              Debugging what is going wrong isn't going to be trivial, hence my calls to contact the author.
              Lele
              ----------------------

Disclaimer:

Comment

Hello,
                Vlado, Lele, Vray should always have its own solution for a fast generation of b/w masks for a selected object. It is not nice that we have to depend on the good or bad time availability of an external programmer.

Lele, could you write a script that does just that ?
                That would be so good, many users would be very grateful to you.​

Kind regards
                algato
                Last edited by algato; 17-09-2022, 06:39 AM.

Comment

What are the most useful things the script did, when observed through today's set of tools V-Ray provides?

Lele
                  ----------------------

Disclaimer:

Comment

A near-instant bw mask of selected objects (while preserving opacity maps).

Comment

That's one channel in the multimatte element, though.

Click image for larger version

Name:	mm.png
Views:	106
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	1160074
                      Lele
                      ----------------------

Disclaimer:

Comment

Yes I understand that, but we're talking about the scenario of having completed a render and while you're in post you might need a quick mask without having to mess around with renderelements and re-render the scene. Having to turn of lights, turn off this and that...it's a pain the butt.

Select your object. Click 'generate mask' or whatever. Bam. Instant mask.

Comment

All you need to do is to toggle the single "lights" switch in the render settings, add a MM RE, set it to the kind you want, and correspondingly set the material or object id.
                          Not enough work to warrant the undertaking of a script, for now.
                          Lele
                          ----------------------

Disclaimer:

Comment

I agree with Pixelcon. Unless I'm missing something, you can't easily replicate what RenderMask does with the tools currently present in V-Ray. You would need to do quite a bit of preparation in order to render out a BW mask after rendering out your image.

Originally posted by ^Lele^ View Post
                            All you need to do is to toggle the single "lights" switch in the render settings, add a MM RE, set it to the kind you want, and correspondingly set the material or object id.
                            Interesting. I will try it out!
                            Aleksandar Mitov
                            www.renarvisuals.com
                            office@renarvisuals.com

3ds Max 2023.2.2 + Vray 6 Update 2.1
                            AMD Ryzen 9 9950X 16-core
                            64GB DDR5
                            GeForce RTX 3090 24GB + GPU Driver 551.86

Comment

Originally posted by ^Lele^ View Post
                              Even with lights disabled, this is still going to be a significantly longer render than what the original script can do.

Comment

Why would it be?
                                Obviously if it's one node you're interested in, you can isolate it for the purposes of mask making.
                                Lele
                                ----------------------

Disclaimer:

Comment

Working...
                                X