3dsMax Standard Spotlight - Inconsistent intensity in Vray Standalone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3dsMax Standard Spotlight - Inconsistent intensity in Vray Standalone

Hi there, I don't know if this is the proper section to post this, or if I should post in the issues/bug section, but is something strictly related to the interaction between 3dsMax and Vray Standalone, so I hope I'm doing it right.

We have to do a batch render (for a catalog) of tons of GLTF sofa models exported from a configurato software and we are going to do that using Vray Standalone in farm.
    The basic idea is to import the sofa models one by one using the gltf plugin for Vray Standalone, find and replace the seating material to swap it with some better Vray material (to add proper falloff for velvet and fabrics) and merge that model with a "fixed" studio lighting setup (exported from Max as a separate vrscene).
    I'm setting up the materials and scenes (as the 3d artist) and a couple of programmers are taking care of merging everything together.
    We did some "proof of concept" tests and everything works pretty fine as expected (we've already did something similar in the past for different use-cases).

Before launching the final batch, we only need to fine tune the general appearence of the photo-studio setup, and I'm testing with constant review from the sofa company's art director (which has'nt got a clear idea of what is he after, so lot of trial and errors iterations are needed).
    It turns out that for a specific effects he wants to achieve, the fastest way to iterate is using a standard 3dsMax spotlight with Vray area shadows as the "keylight", which allows me to quicly change the Hotspot/Falloff field and Shadow Radius without having to mess with too much parmeters for each iteration.
    I know that teorethically this could be achieved using a Vray Disc light (and it's more physically accurate), but I've found that is more cumbersome to fine tune and allows a bit less "artistic freedom", so I would prefere to stick with that.

It works wery well if I test it in Vray for 3dsMax (both for interactive and production rendering), BUT the problem is that when I "export and render" the vrscene to test it with Vray standalone the intensity of the spotlight is way less (see attachment).
    I've got this problem only for the standard Max spot, if I only use Vray lights I've got consistent results between Max/Vray and Vray Standalone, so I'm pretty sure that the culprit is the spotlight itself.
    So I'm forced to export and render every time I need to adjust the spotlight and cannot take advantage of IPR to iterate in real time with the art director (which would save tons of time in the overall process).

I searched the forum for similar issues and did'nt find anyone facing the same problem, but the closer one was suggesting to switch to "full light evaluation", but that didn't change anything at all.
    I'm using 3dsmax 2015 with vray 4.30.01 with BF+LC and bucket sampler.
    Not sure if I'm doing something wrong that's affecting compatibility with Vray Standalone or if it's a bug/known issue. Any clue about that?

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_72072.png Views:	4 Size:	1.39 MB ID:	1149873
    Last edited by marcello_paniccia; 04-06-2022, 03:50 AM.

The code for standalone has to cater for more than just the Max spotlights, and so some parameter isn't taken properly into account.
    From simple tests, the contrast parameter isn't exported at all (under the "Advanced Effects" rollout.).
    You should perhaps try and use a disk light with directionality, and a vraySoftbox texture mapped to it, with its radial vignette active and inverted, so to control radial falloff (via gradient, instead of angle.).
    Lele
    Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
    ----------------------
    emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
    The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Working...
    X