Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VRayBmpFilter in Vray Next

Hey guys,
    I would like to know if its is possible to get the VRayBmpFilter back in Vray Next.

Reason is, that sometimes we got floorplans only as a PDF which we convert to jpg and map it onto a plane. With the normal max bitmap I have to set the viewport texture resolution to a pretty high value, which is affecting all object. With the VRayBmpFilter the texture was displayed as is natural resolution no matter what texture resolution you set for the viewport.
    Vray HDRI seems to have a higher resolution but its not the native one.

Yeah I could do with this as well. I really miss getting nice crisp templates.
    Garry Clarke
    Technical Illustrator
    www.garryclarke.com

Comment

Interesting. I would rather fix VRayHDRI to do what is needed Can you get me an example file to vlado@chaosgroup.com ?

Best regards,
      Vlado
      I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

I think my problem was that I was just using the standard Max bitmap texture and not the VRayHDRI. And of course I realised that the old VRayBmpFilter was removed and didn't realise that VRayHDRI now did the same thing.

Garry Clarke
        Technical Illustrator
        www.garryclarke.com

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
          Interesting. I would rather fix VRayHDRI to do what is needed Can you get me an example file to vlado@chaosgroup.com ?

Best regards,
          Vlado
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4L2UXfxW3tE
          A.

---------------------
          www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

Originally posted by Garryclarke View Post
            I think my problem was that I was just using the standard Max bitmap texture and not the VRayHDRI. And of course I realised that the old VRayBmpFilter was removed and didn't realise that VRayHDRI now did the same thing.
            So no need for using BMPfilter anymore? Great! Didn't see this in the changelog though?
            A.

---------------------
            www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

Originally posted by Vizioen View Post

So no need for using BMPfilter anymore? Great! Didn't see this in the changelog though?
              Actually I never even knew BMPFilter could be used for that purpose and now that is is no longer in VRay, I cannot try it.

Also using VRay HDRI does not solve the problem, it may give a slightly increased quailty, but nowhere near that of the example in the video you posted, using BMPfilter

Al those times using bitmap images for reference or bitmap conversions from PDF and I never got to use BMPFilter to make the workflow much easier.

So Vlado, while you suggest VrayHDRI should achieve the same crisp image mapping.preview and you would rather fix that, than reintroduce the BMPFilter map, I am wondering would it not be easier to just add the BMPFilter back into the line up, or was it causing some other problems, in later builds, I am alao unaware of.

Comment

Hi,

I've been playing around with different ways of displaying templates.

The standard Max bitmap texture is giving me a slightly better result than the VRayHDRI texture.

I also went back to Max 2018 - VRay 3 and tried the VRayBmpFilter and found it to be much better.

I do quite a lot of modelling over templates like these, so crisp templates would be good.
                Attached Files
                Garry Clarke
                Technical Illustrator
                www.garryclarke.com

Comment

This is a fairly small bitmap even, when using huge bitmaps for terrains and stuff the bmpfilter is amazing
                  A.

---------------------
                  www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

That's just a clip from the original map which is 2048 x 2048 px
                    Garry Clarke
                    Technical Illustrator
                    www.garryclarke.com

Comment

If VrayHDRI gets fixed that its showing the full res in viewport no matter what you set in max or reviving VRayBmpFilter doesnt really matter for us.

At the moment II just merge a plane with the BmpFilter map from older projects.

I was wondering how can you create a VRayBmpFilter Map in MaxScript? With the VRayHDRI I have no problems
                      Code:
                      VRayHDRI HDRIMapName:(f)
                      but
                      Code:
                      VRayBmpFilter textureMap:(f)
                      isnt working

Comment

Hello everyone,
                        I just stumbled across this forum thread. We have not switched to Vray Next yet, but planned to do so soon.
                        With VrayBmpFilter being an important part of our daily workflow (as dreidesign described), switching to VRay Next would limit us in this regard.
                        Is it planned to bring VRayBmpFilter back or implement another way to automatically get original resolutions in the viewport by using a mapping type? It would be tedious to always import from old scenes.

Comment

So no command line for BMPfilter either?

Edit: found it but doesn't work in next, although maps imported from older project still work.
                          Last edited by Vizioen; 26-11-2019, 09:15 AM.
                          A.

---------------------
                          www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

Been a while since I checked on this, but why again is it gone and will it be returning?
                            BR

Comment

Hey,
                              just checking in if there is a solution for this ?
                              We are still importing the bmp filter out of old scenes...

Kind regards

Comment

Working...
                              X