Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Save + Render button

Save + render button, please!
    Sometimes you forget to save and the render crashes. I wish there was a "Save + render" button that could be used in those risky situations.
    www.studio2a.co

copy and paste this to a window from scripting > new script, select all the text and then drop it on to a toolbar. If you crash during render you can open a new copy of max and use edit > fetch to get what you just rendered.

Code:
    holdMaxFile()
    render()

Comment

Nice one! Can I assume adding "save()" would save the file too?
      www.studio2a.co

Comment

Try this instead, saveMaxFile() only works for files that have been saved manually once, otherwise the file doesn't have an original location for maxscript to read.

Code:
        if (maxfilename) != "" then
        (
            saveMaxFile (maxfilePath + maxFileName)
        ) else (
            getSaveFileName() 
        )

render()

Comment

Surely now that we have resume render functionality, this isn't necessary

Comment

Originally posted by andy51 View Post
            Surely now that we have resume render functionality, this isn't necessary
            The problem is not the render - it's those last final just-one-more tweaks you make at the 11:59th hour right before cranking up the render size for the final rendering and hitting render and forgetting to hit save.
            www.studio2a.co

Comment

Originally posted by meanadam View Post

The problem is not the render - it's those last final just-one-more tweaks you make at the 11:59th hour right before cranking up the render size for the final rendering and hitting render and forgetting to hit save.
              Do you mean forgetting to save the render or save the scene BEFORE hitting render. Forgetting to save the final image, once the render is how you want it to look, well, you already have that functionality built in, to save the render once it completes, it's been there, in Max for years, in fact it's not even a part of V-Ray, it's a Max feature...However if you mean you render the final image and close Max, but lose those final tweaks, because you never saved the final scene...well that can't happen, because Max, seeing that you have changed the scene, before the last render, would ask if you want to save the scene before closing and chosing to say no, is well, your own fault. Whether I have changed anything or not, if Max asks me if I want to save before closing, I save, no question.

Comment

It's quite clear what he means. Saving the max file BEFORE rendering. If the render crashes, your last changes aren't saved.
                A.

---------------------
                www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

1) Replace the RENDER button, with a SAVE then RENDER button. Very annoying to those who have learnt to save automatically, without thinking before they ever hit render. Like "Measure twice, Cut once" as you just end up saving that massive file twice, similar to the old AUTOBACKUP, that is very useful, but far too often, ends up failing or leaving you with a corrupt file, that is totally useless.

2) Add another button, that has the "Save then Render" feature, alongside the standard "RENDER" button, which you, like saving before you render, could so easily forget, then the render crashes and the new feature, smiles quietly to itself.

3) Add the ability to only enable this feature, if you are the sort that forgets to save before rendering, often enough to make it useful.

If the feature ever gets added, please make it 3)

Comment

Originally posted by andy51 View Post

2) Add another button, that has the "Save then Render" feature, alongside the standard "RENDER" button, which you, like saving before you render, could so easily forget, then the render crashes and the new feature, smiles quietly to itself.
                    Yes, now you got it. This was my original post.

www.studio2a.co

Comment

Working...
                    X