No announcement yet.

Better viewport support for Vray materials

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh wow that's great! I'm constantly having to make shell materials for preview animations...etc. So any improvement on the way V-Ray's materials look in the viewport is very welcome!
    MDI Digital
    moonjam

Comment

Most things will work in the "Realistic Materials with maps" mode in Update 1. Here is an example of a map in self illum slot in VRayMtl that is in VRayBlendMtl (+ 1 coat):

Click image for larger version

Name:	3dsmax_zXMl7GKfpj.png
Views:	360
Size:	644.0 KB
ID:	1093883
      If it was that easy, it would have already been done

Peter Matanov
      Chaos

Comment

will that work in a typical exterior archviz scene, or will it consume too many resources?

Last edited by Morne; 30-11-2020, 08:03 AM.
        Kind Regards,
        Morne

Comment

I don't think it will matter that much. There is a separate setting for viewport resolution for textures which is limited by default and the calculation ("rendering") part should be easy giving that we all have machines meant for raytracing.
          If it was that easy, it would have already been done

Peter Matanov
          Chaos

Comment

Hi,
            It doesnt work for me. Problem is I have V-Ray instaled on server, so some files required for this are missing on workstatin. Cant you tell me which files should I copy to local installation of Max? Or what should I do? Copying AMG folder according to this article https://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/...trary+Location doesnt work.
            Thanks

Comment

Hello,

You should copy the AMG folder itself (not its contents) into the 3ds Max installation.
              In other words, copy
              <\\server\share\network_location>\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2021\AMG
              to the 3ds Max installation foler, typically:
              C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2021
              Note that there is already AMG folder in the 3ds Max installation. It conains shaders for some Autodesk materials.
              You could check that it is done properly by checking contents of the following folders:
              Click image for larger version

Name:	amg_def.png
Views:	238
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	1107941Click image for larger version

Name:	amg_impl.png
Views:	228
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	1107942

Best Regards,
              Vasil Minkov
              V-Ray for 3ds Max developer

Comment

Thanks. Will be greate to support UDIMs also.

Comment

Working...
                X