Vray Light group multiplier / scaling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vray Light group multiplier / scaling

I have lit a large interior space with many vray plane lights. Eg 10 instanced @ 100 power, 20 instanced @ 5 power etc. I have the balance right between them all, but I want to increase intensity of all them relative to each other.
    So it would be great if I could select all the plane lights and drop a light scale modifier on the group to, say double the intensity.

I don't know if there's already a way to do this?

cheers

BTW, I'm aware you can alter the exposure of the camera to affect this, but I have multiple light groups elsewhere in the scene.

Comment

That would be hell to debug later: imagine a user which dropped multiplier node after multiplier node.
      Checking which belongs, and affects, which lights would become a veritable nightmare of cross references, particularly as multiplier groups would be able to affect any number of lights each.

A better way, imho, would be to have a script tool to do that (double, halve, and so on), which however baked the values into the lights.

However, between the Light Lister, the fact you properly instanced the lights, and the use of CTRL+N in the spinners (to bring up the calculator), you should be able to get a lot of ground covered quickly, regardless of extra tools.
      Lele
      Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
      ----------------------
      emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
      The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Yes that would be a worst case example. My analogue would be dropping an FFD modifier on a group. Here you would have say, 10 objects grouped which individually have the correct proportions to eachother, but instead of opening the group and scaling each object - you would apply an (2x2)ffd on top to scale everything non-destructively.

I'm just saying it would be convenient to be able to have a light multiplier function - quick and easy.

Comment

Umh, Arnold has modifiers which do similar things.
          Would you want something similar to that, or have i misunderstood?
          Lele
          Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
          ----------------------
          emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
          The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Don't know about the Arnold modifiers. Just to clarify, I don't mean scaling the dimensions of the lights - but scaling the light intensity.

Comment

I've previously asked for an exposure slider, which would let you do exactly this. If you add the same value to an exposure slider on each light, it'll increase the brightness uniformly between them by 1 stop. I think that's a more elegant and universal solution than a modifier, you'd just link the parameters using native 3Ds Max tools.
              Last edited by dgruwier; 09-01-2020, 04:50 AM.
              __
              https://surfaceimperfections.com/

Comment

Working...
              X