Colorcorrection Node for maps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colorcorrection Node for maps

A small thing that would make a big difference, in my opinion.
    I find 3ds max colorcorrection-node quite frustrating, would be cool to have something like Coronacolorcorrect in V-ray.

I realize this might not be top-priority thing, but i think many would appreciate it

something like these would work?
    Attached Files
    Lele
    Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
    ----------------------
    emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
    The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

ah yes, i always forget about vraypluginnodetex.

Looks like all i want is there, could be packed more neatly together with the most common actions in the top though.
      Would also be awesome if it was for 3ds max, so we don't have to access it through pluginnodetex.

Comment

Originally posted by Xntric View Post
        Looks like all i want is there, could be packed more neatly together with the most common actions in the top though.
        Which options are most used is a matter of preference, and that's why one can reorder the rollouts.
        Would also be awesome if it was for 3ds max, so we don't have to access it through pluginnodetex.
        What difference would that make?
        What's the problem you're having with the pluginNodeTex?
        Lele
        ----------------------

Disclaimer:
        The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

I'm glad you reminded me of it, and i'll definitely be using it.

Just a bit tedious to have to scroll through the PluginNodeTex everytime i want a CC node, that's all.

obviously not something of high priority, just a nice little thing to save the artists a few clicks.

Comment

Have to agree with Xntric, the UI on that node is basically just a flat list of parameters. A nicely visually organized ColorCorrect in vray would be awesome.

- Neil

Comment

There is new OSL CC map. Hv u try?

Comment

agree. why does it have to be in that weird plug in node
                it would be so useful to have a normal CC

we arent all programmers and many of us just need simple tools that just work.

Comment

There is new OSL CC map. Hv u try?
                  I have.
                  They are unfortunately some 30%++ slower than Max's CCs when used with Max OSL nodes, and 15%++ when used with a V-Ray OSL tex.
                  I'd steer well clear of those unless i was without other options.

Have to agree with Xntric, the UI on that node is basically just a flat list of parameters.
                  I thought his issue was with the selection from the pluginNode dropdown.
                  I wouldn't know how to better organise the parameters if i was tasked with it: they make perfect sense to me as they are grouped, and ordered, right now.
                  Feel free to suggest a better layout though, knowing it's going to be down to what different people will use it for.

Originally posted by squintnic View Post
                  agree. why does it have to be in that weird plug in node
                  Because it's a tool used in scene translation, not meant to be directly used.
                  What's "weird" exactly, about it?

it would be so useful to have a normal CC
                  You've been given a further option, not one less.
                  You're free to not use it in its current state.

we arent all programmers and many of us just need simple tools that just work.
                  I fail to understand how a selection from a dropdown (of one of the first two options at that) is a programmer's affair.
                  Once that part is over, you're still faced with the color math.

I could look into making a new scripted plugin to prepackage the CC map, but that would mean a new class, and the need to install the script to all the clients.
                  On the other hand, i am pretty sure (but will check again) that we are not in a position to be tackling this anytime soon.

Do keep posting suggestions, though, and actionable comments: we're reading.
                  Last edited by ^Lele^; 27-09-2020, 11:46 PM.
                  Lele
                  ----------------------

Disclaimer:

Comment

I really enjoy Coronas ColorCorrect whenever i have the chance to work with it.

Has everything i could want from a CC node, neatly packed and organized.

Comment

I like it too, but It also lacks a *ton* of options, though.
                      There is no mappable parameter, which could be a deal breaker for some, and there is a ton of empty space.
                      I do like how they allow for a reference to another map though, that's super clever, workflow-wise.
                      Also, i like the ability to load a LUT (which i assume it will invert? or use straight up?), and the custom curves.

As a side note, this does work with V-Ray CPU (it won't export, though. so no vCloud nor vGPU), insofar as i could test it, regardless of Corona licensing (i.e., install, use. Don't even need to authorise a demo.).
                      You'll just have to ask max to "show incompatible" maps, so to be able to pick it from the Corona group of textures.

We *are* considering this, however, even if we can't promise anything just yet.
                      Lele
                      ----------------------

Disclaimer:

Comment

Perhaps the CC node could be something like this, with the more simple corrections in the top and down below the more advanced parameters.

I don't know if it makes sense, I'm just playing with ideas here

Comment

Originally posted by ^Lele^ View Post
                          I wouldn't know how to better organise the parameters if i was tasked with it: they make perfect sense to me as they are grouped, and ordered, right now.
                          Feel free to suggest a better layout though, knowing it's going to be down to what different people will use it for.
                          Actually, I wrote a design spec for a new color correct node years ago for 3dsmax, and its been sitting on its wishlist. I've attached a copy here. It was an attempt to take the best parts of all the color correct nodes out there such as the built in max one, Cunyt's, and added a few more useful tools.

- Neil
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by soulburn3d; 01-10-2020, 08:44 AM.

Comment

That looks great! Thanks so much for this!
                            Lele
                            ----------------------

Disclaimer:

Comment

Originally posted by ^Lele^ View Post
                              That looks great! Thanks so much for this!
                              Glad it may be helpful!

- Neil

Comment

Working...
                              X