vray performance analysis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vray performance analysis

it would be great if we had a way to diagnose what is slowing down our scenes. ive got a scene with incredibly erratic rendertimes, and just when i think ive figured out why its slow and tweaked it, another shot takes even longer than before.

Im sure you guys have in-house tools to analyse performance, but a user tool which showed graphically (pie chart?) what vray is spending most of its time on, (by object/shading category etc) or a colour coded heat map which shows what each bucket of the image is slowed down by...

basically a report showing what vray is spending time on.

it would be VERY useful.

https://www.sinisoftware.com/Plugins/Forensic - saves me often!
    Bobby Parker
    www.bobby-parker.com
    e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
    phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
    • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
    • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
    • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
    • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/sc...eanerantivirus - also this
      Bobby Parker
      www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
      • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

The script that I use all the time and never see talked about is Fix Utility.
        Bobby Parker
        www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
        • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by super gnu View Post
          ive got a scene with incredibly erratic rendertimes, and just when i think ive figured out why its slow and tweaked it, another shot takes even longer than before.
          Would it be possible to take a look at that scene? It doesn't sound right.

Other than that, we do collect some debugging information during rendering, I will think about exposing it. At a very general level, I would look at the number and type of rays at the end of the rendering (camera/GI/shadow/reflection/refraction rays) as well as the sample rate render element and compare them between the frames/shots.

Best regards,
          Vlado
          I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
            Would it be possible to take a look at that scene? It doesn't sound right.

Other than that, we do collect some debugging information during rendering, I will think about exposing it. At a very general level, I would look at the number and type of rays at the end of the rendering (camera/GI/shadow/reflection/refraction rays) as well as the sample rate render element and compare them between the frames/shots.

Best regards,
            Vlado
            thanks for the tips.. regarding the scene (a planet with atmosphere) , it appears most of the slowdown was due to having opacity mapped clouds under two opacity mapped (gradient ramp/falloff) environment spheres.. replacing opacity with refraction on the two atmospheric spheres cut my rendertimes by 3-15X.. strangely it seemed highly dependent on sun angle and view distance.. i could send file but its got 10GB + of textures. if it would be helpful i can of course, send.

on a related note, surely if refraction is so much faster than opacity, is there not some way to use the same "process" for opacity as refraction? in the end it should be easier since you dont have to bend/scatter any rays..? (im sure its not as straightforward as that, but really opacity is dog-slow.)

Comment

Originally posted by glorybound View Post
              Thanks for the suggestions Bobby, but the scene is built from scratch and is literally a handful of spheres with some quite complex shaders on them. i doubt its a virus or cad import issue..

Comment

You would be surprised at how much damage MAX can do to your scene, so I would still check things.
                Bobby Parker
                www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Working...
                X