Cloud System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cloud System

Probably not the first time something like this has been requested. But I think some type of the fast cloud generator system that works in tandem with the Vray Sun & Sky, would be great.

See the new developments with Unreal Engine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJwW...ture=emb_title

Already thinking about this. The moment we choose how to do it we'll implement it.
    If it was that easy, it would have already been done

Peter Matanov
    Chaos

Comment

Awesome, Thank you for the response!

Comment

Originally posted by slizer View Post
        Already thinking about this. The moment we choose how to do it we'll implement it.
        this is the first time ive heard a positive response to one of the dozens of "can we have clouds?" questions.

cant wait to see what Chaos could come up with... its such a fascinating and complex subject..

can i ask that whatever you make works for shots of planets from space too

Comment

Originally posted by super gnu View Post

can i ask that whatever you make works for shots of planets from space too
          I doubt it, but miracles happen all the time

If it was that easy, it would have already been done

Peter Matanov
          Chaos

Comment

Originally posted by super gnu View Post
            this is the first time ive heard a positive response to one of the dozens of "can we have clouds?" questions.
            And yet, as Peter mentioned, I have been working at PoCs for my RnD colleagues for various approaches, on and off, for the best part of five years (hint: that's about when the OSL noises, like Worley, Alligator, and Advected were put into our OSL repo.).
            It's just not trivial to generalise, doing it right (f.e. with believable motion.), doing it cheap (i.e. not like PhoenixFD would, simulating stuff properly.), giving users the directability they look for (a simple texture in a volume may be ok for some, but others would require gizmos and locators, and so on), not to mention render.
            Of course I took plenty of inspiration and some of the techniques from gaming, but raytracing ain't gaming, so what's quick, doable and acceptable in one environment isn't so in the other.
            There are a number of stumbling blocks still, but we're hopeful that by the time we'll devote more attention to the issues we'll find the solutions.
            No promises though, eh.
            Lele
            Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
            ----------------------
            emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
            The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

I can't say I've seen any examples of dynamic cloud simulations using PhoenixFD either. Perhaps a new feature in that software wouldn't be a terrible idea either. Besides caustics, clouds are one of the remaining holy grails in CG rendering in my opinion.

Comment

Working...
              X