Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vray denoiser should remove the denoiser element layers from the output files. They aren't needed, and they just bloat the files and waste resources.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vray denoiser should remove the denoiser element layers from the output files. They aren't needed, and they just bloat the files and waste resources.

I also wish there were better options for compressing EXR files.

But at the very least, please give us a way to remove these layers - right now I am using photoshop actions and that's about as tedious as it gets.

If I am using the denoiser to pass through hundreds of frames, I don't want to have to make another pass later.
    http://www.jd3d.co.uk - Vray Mentor

+1.
    my opinion as well. Also, there is an original Output RGB file and an RGB output file, wich are similar. And then is there an effects result file, wich is also almost the same, or should be created after compositing.
    Disc space may be much present, but no need to waste it =)

Comment

Originally posted by JD3D_CGI View Post
      I also wish there were better options for compressing EXR files.

But at the very least, please give us a way to remove these layers - right now I am using photoshop actions and that's about as tedious as it gets.

If I am using the denoiser to pass through hundreds of frames, I don't want to have to make another pass later.
      The elements are kept so that animations can be denoised with the superior multi-frame approach available through vDenoise.exe in the \bin folder.
      The option to remove some REs has been debated before, but every user has different ideas of which elements to keep, so it hasn't gone anywhere.
      As a workaround, save the files as split channel from the render settings, and you'll avoid having the extra REs (and also currently you'll have to do without a cryptomatte, at least within the single render pass.).
      Last edited by ^Lele^; 05-04-2022, 05:56 AM.
      Lele
      Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
      ----------------------
      emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
      The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

> The elements are kept so that animations can be denoised with the superior multi-frame approach available through vDenoise.exe in the \bin folder.

I am saying to remove the denoiser render layers AFTER the denoiser. - is essence - the denoiser should remove those layers from the files that it outputs.

Comment

Originally posted by ^Lele^ View Post
          The option to remove some REs has been debated before,but every user has different ideas of which elements to keep, so it hasn't gone anywhere.

makes sense of course. Well, it would it be nice to have a tool to do the choices of some global output options (e.g. don't want to post-denoise? then check" avoid Denoising Layers" on output) But it may a 3D max-in-depth thing that´ll make it not possible?

Comment

Originally posted by JD3D_CGI View Post
            > The elements are kept so that animations can be denoised with the superior multi-frame approach available through vDenoise.exe in the \bin folder.

I am saying to remove the denoiser render layers AFTER the denoiser. - is essence - the denoiser should remove those layers from the files that it outputs.
            Ah, apologies, i thought you meant via VFB.
            Yes, i think that's a valid option to add to the vdenoise.exe, will poke the devs about it.
            Lele
            ----------------------

Disclaimer:
            The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Another feature would be to use the denoiser to more easily add in the lens effects or VFB frame corrections than the clunky command line method.

Comment

Has there been any update regarding this? Has anyone found a practical workflow? If there is no option to remove the render elements after denoise through vray what would be the best approach? I am thinking about using nuke as a post process removing those channels after render.or not using multichannel exr and simply deleting it with a farm post script.using maya 2022.3 vray 5 2.1

Comment

Originally posted by mschreck View Post
                  Has there been any update regarding this? Has anyone found a practical workflow? If there is no option to remove the render elements after denoise through vray what would be the best approach? I am thinking about using nuke as a post process removing those channels after render.or not using multichannel exr and simply deleting it with a farm post script.using maya 2022.3 vray 5 2.1
                  No news from us yet (but we are working at it still.).
                  Both your approaches are what is generally used, to the best of my knowledge (notice split saving already drops the denoiser-only channels.).
                  The nuke job could conceivably be made automatic via deadline or similar manager.
                  Lele
                  ----------------------

Disclaimer:

Comment

Thanks for the info.i realized this was a post in the max forum.is split save a max only feature? I don’t recall seeing this in maya?

Comment

Originally posted by mschreck View Post
                      Thanks for the info.i realized this was a post in the max forum.is split save a max only feature? I don’t recall seeing this in maya?
                      Duh me, you did mention Maya.
                      Yes, it's a form of file output in Max.
                      I'm not sure it's present in Maya: surely not in form, as in Maya the original file output is reused, while in Max it's a bit more convoluted.
                      If you aren't adverse to scripting a post-deleter, never mind this: you'll be in the same place anyway.
                      Lele
                      ----------------------

Disclaimer:

Comment

Working...
                      X