File name tag replaced with material name

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• File name tag replaced with material name

Is it possible to insert a tag that is replaced with the material name (sub-material name) in the file name of V-Ray Bitmap?

Like this
    Click image for larger version  Name:	tag.jpg Views:	0 Size:	14.2 KB ID:	1149546

This is because the industry standard Adobe Substance Painter creates a texture set based on the FBX material name, and the material name is included in the exported texture.

For example, it looks like this
    Click image for larger version  Name:	substance.jpg Views:	0 Size:	183.8 KB ID:	1149544

If I can insert a tag that will be replaced with a material name (sub-material name) in V-Ray Bitmap, I can define the texture of all objects with one V-RayMtl.

It's a different scenario from the UVTile workflow.

Last edited by flat; 01-06-2022, 06:57 AM.

OakCorp Japan - Yuji Yamauchi
    oakcorp.net
    v-ray.jp

I wouldn't advice using special characters in material names. Why not use the slate material editor? You have everything laid out in front of your eyes there.
    Vladimir Krastev | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Hello,

This wouldn't work well since you can easily connect one VRayBitmap to multiple materials.

Best regards,
      Yavor
      Yavor Rubenov
      V-Ray for 3ds Max developer

Comment

I think you guys are not understanding what I mean.
        It is not a slate material editor issue.

This thread is Wishlist. I just want the ability to automatically insert material names into the V-RayBitMap file path in the future.

I would like to confirm if this feature is implementable or not due to 3dsMax specifications.

oakcorp.net
        v-ray.jp

Comment

Slate or compact you can connect one VRayBitmap to more than one material. Or you can use it without any material - f.e in displacement.
          That is why I think a material name tag will not be a good idea.
          Yavor Rubenov
          V-Ray for 3ds Max developer

Comment

The request assumes that one VRayBitmap is connected to multiple materials, since the bitmap path is variable based on the material name.

Mr,Yavor's response is that the User-Defined Properties tag is also not recommended. (For example, when using a VRayBitmap in the Background, User-Defined Properties cannot be used.)

However, I can confirm that this feature is not a priority, so we will try to find another solution (PreRender Script or Substance Painter side) to improve it.

oakcorp.net
            v-ray.jp

Comment

Working...
            X