Amount Setting for Thin Film Effect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amount Setting for Thin Film Effect

I'd really like to see an amount slider for the thin film effect.

This should be capable for exceeding 1.0 as well.This is such a stylized effect that more control is needed to achieve desired looks. Would also be nice if you could control the glossiness of this effect independent of the reflection glossiness.

I realize I can use a VRayBlend to combine this, but it would be faster to render if we just had an amount setting (I am assuming).

Hey Joelaff,

Not sure what you mean by "stylized" but the thin film implementation is physically based and the current controls reflect the layer's physical properties.

Separate glossiness for the thin film layer wouldn't work because the calculations require that both of the layers are parallel on a nanometer scale, which is achievable only when using the same roughness for both layers.
    Otherwise we would end up with very unpredictable and incorrect results.

Similarly, a thin film amount wouldn't have a physical analog and a naive implementation would break various lighting calculations in V-Ray.

Best regards,
    Dian

Comment

I understand your concerns about being physically correct, but remember that most of us are trying to make images that look a certain way that we want them to (or in my case, frequently my clients want). So we would like more user controls, even if they are not "physically based."

At least we still have additive mode in VRayBlend (for now).

Any faster method to be able to control the intensity of the effect is appreciated.

Comment

Working...
      X