No announcement yet.

VFB "Add layers" option rather than replacing when loading a saved .vccglb file

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VFB "Add layers" option rather than replacing when loading a saved .vccglb file

Like the title says, an option to add the layers in the file to the current VFB layers rather than just replacing them all. This would let us save out some preset adjustment "groups" and add them to scenes as necessary without wiping out what's currently in place.
    www.dpict3d.com - "That's a very nice rendering, Dave. I think you've improved a great deal." - HAL9000... At least I have one fan.

HI, thanks for contacting us. This sounds like it could be useful. We logged your idea as a feature request in our system.
    Vladimir Krastev | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Hi, could you share a bit more details about your workflow? The .vccglb file format was used up until V-Ray 4. With V-Ray 6 we have the .vfbl. In V-Ray 6 we can only open .vccglb file and not save one.

Comment

Sorry for confusing the file formats...I was in the middle of transferring over some VRay4 scenes to Vray6 that had multiple passes set up with RPManager. As such I was saving the .vccglb files in 4 and loading them in 6 so it probably doesn't apply with normal workflows that are all in Vray6. Being able to "add layers" rather than "replace all" with .vfbl should be just fine.
        Last edited by dlparisi; 16-08-2023, 07:32 AM.
        www.dpict3d.com - "That's a very nice rendering, Dave. I think you've improved a great deal." - HAL9000... At least I have one fan.

Comment

Hi, could you share with us in which situations you needed this functionality and explain a bit how you envision it? There are some layers that will not work like for example the Denoiser.

I see it this way:
          For example a dedicated special layer that can be saved/loaded separately from the rest. And we can add colour corrections in it for use on multiple projects/images. I don't know if we are thinking the same but from my experience it is common to have a group of colour correction that I used on top of every image. So if we have an image specific correction, lets say we fixed a material's colour then we would want to keep that and add on top of it our "custom filter".
          We will have to synchronize all of this with the developers since not everything is possible from technical stand point but please lets first agree on what we need and why we need it.

Comment

I wasn't thinking of it as a global layer setting, just a way to add groups of layers to new images. I'd also add that since I do use RPManager, I have a different VFB layer settings for each pass. What often happens is that I'll tweak a setting in one pass' layer, say adjusting a particular material/object with a cryptomatte mask, and then want to copy that same layer to other passes. It could even be multiple layers if I adjust the hue in one, exposure in another, etc. Currently, I'll have to recreate them from scratch in the other passes because saving and loading into a new pass would remove any existing layers already in the other pass. Ideally I'd be able to choose which layer(s) to import from the .vfbl (rather than all of them) but at a minimum just adding all of the other passes would work (I then just delete all of the ones I don't need).

Comment

Originally posted by dlparisi View Post
              What often happens is that I'll tweak a setting in one pass' layer, say adjusting a particular material/object with a cryptomatte mask, and then want to copy that same layer to other passes.
              This is already possible (but probably a bit obscure..). If you right click on a given layer - say some color balance layer with cryptomatte mask - you have 'Save' option there. It will save the layer and its masks to file. Then when you switch to a different pass you create a new layer of the same type (color balance in the example) and in the right click menu you have 'Load' option. That way you can transfer all the layer's settings and masks.
              This works only for single layers unfortunately - we'll have to think about multiple layers..

Yavor Rubenov
              V-Ray for 3ds Max developer

Comment

Working...
              X