Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VrayOptionRe - Check box for Single Layer (DWAA compression) EXRs + separated element's folders .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VrayOptionRe - Check box for Single Layer (DWAA compression) EXRs + separated element's folders .

Hey there! So I'm having a bit of a tough time trying to figure out the best way to export single-layer EXR files with DWAA/B Compression in 3DS Max and Vray
    The whole thing is, the native EXR export option in 3dsmax doesn't support DWAA compression, which I think is absolutely necessary. As the DWAA compression is not implemented there the logical way is to go on with OptionRe and VrayFB export......!?!
    I've been scratching my head as to why the VrayOptionRe element doesn't include this option for a single-layer EXRs export, especially since other programs like Blender, Octane, and Cinema4D have a really convenient checkbox for it.
    It's super helpful to have that option when it comes to different workflows and optimizing performance.

There are so many situations where I could really use that option, depending on what compositing software I'm using and how I want to optimize my workflow. MultiLayer is perfect for Nuke, especially with the multipart feature, but things get a little trickier when we're talking about Adobe AfterEffects and performance.

Single-layer EXR files with DWAA/B compression are the way to go in After Effects because they give a huge performance boost over the multiLayer ones.

So my question is, is there any way to add this option to the render element VrayOptionRe, or maybe you have another suggestion for how I can save easily the Single-layer EXR files with DWAA compression in separate folders for each element through DeadLine Subm renderer? As you might guess, it is all about the animation purposes. Stills aren't a big deal.

I've tried some workarounds, like converting .vrimg files to .exr, but it takes too much time. I've also tried rendering standalone .vrscene files, but that adds way too many steps and takes too much time for something that should be simple.

Thanks,

We sadly do not control the Max file saver(s).
    The same output process governs *all* image file outputs in max but the Raw save (and the saving of all channels to single EXR from the VFB.).

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	136
Size:	2.4 KB
ID:	1179607

The suggestion is to save a thick EXR via the raw file save and post-split the layers in Nuke (it can be easily automated, particularly through deadline, and it's a fairly quick process.).
    Alternatively, rendering with standalone would free us of the Max limitations, and the oprions in the RE would take.
    Notice rendering with standalone may or may not be a transparent option, depending on scene setup and used features.

We'll take a renewed look at the issue, but assume we can't solve this directly.
    Lele
    Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
    ----------------------
    emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
    The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Thank you Lele.

I do appreciate your prompt reply.

Actually, I clearly understand that my asking is not a quick fix, but just want to find a fairly quick and workable solution for the team in different scenarios.

I've been thinking also about if there is a way for the script ".vrimg to .exr " to be modified and implement these options as "separate folders" and the possibility to read and export Multi-Layer EXR, but not only .vrimg

I know that it is a different request, but if this standalone software could be made to extract Multi EXR into single EXRs in separate folders, this process could be run as a pending job in the deadline and after all we will have two sources, which we can choose from respectively the workflow we are to use.

Regards,

Comment

Originally posted by petar_kasadzhikov View Post
        I know that it is a different request, but if this standalone software could be made to extract Multi EXR into single EXRs in separate folders, this process could be run as a pending job in the deadline and after all we will have two sources, which we can choose from respectively the workflow we are to use.
        Something like this?
        Lele
        ----------------------

Disclaimer:
        The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

hmm.. interesting.

I have to test it if this will work...

Is there something compiled directly for Windows? ".vrimg to .exr" is a perfect example.

Thanks anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by petar_kasadzhikov View Post
            Is there something compiled directly for Windows? ".vrimg to .exr" is a perfect example.
            In fact, you *should* use the vrimg to exr workflow and executable.
            It has an interface if run alone instead of as CLI, it preserves/implements DWAA compression, allows for file splitting per layer, and supports processing individual files, folders and sequences.
            Last edited by ^Lele^; 03-05-2023, 04:59 AM.
            Lele
            ----------------------

Disclaimer:

Comment

Working...
            X