VRayFur Baking into Mesh?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VRayFur Baking into Mesh?

Hi! Is there any way we could see a conversion/baking of VRayFur into mesh geometries? I was hoping for something similar to what happens for the VRayDisplacementMod baking currently, where the baking happens and then we can reimport it as a VRayProxy and converted into meshes.

Sorry to say, there isn't a way to do that with VRayFur.
    Aleksandar Hadzhiev | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

I assume that's not something that would be possible in the future, either? We have some scenes that make use of VRayFur, which we would like to convert to usage outside of Max, but like you mentioned it isn't possible at the moment.

Comment

How do you plan to use it and how do you imagine those hairs would look like?
        If it was that easy, it would have already been done

Peter Matanov
        Chaos

Comment

Ideally, we would want the resulting/converted hair mesh to look as in the VRay rendering of the VRayFur object.

We would want to be able to export it from Max to be able to use in different applications, like other DCCs or engines, thus why we want to convert it to a usual mesh object.

Comment

But still - there are different ways of representing hairs - as planes or cylinders. As you can imagine turning lets say a "common" piece of fur to geometry can result in enormous mesh with billions of small polygons.

The whole idea of hair rendering is that the hairs are generated at render time - f.e. each hair segment is a perfect cylinder with semi-spherical caps.
            Last edited by matanov; 12-07-2023, 04:05 AM.
            If it was that easy, it would have already been done

Peter Matanov
            Chaos

Comment

Hi, sorry for the time it took me to reply.

Ideally, we would want to represent it as triangular meshes, kind of like we are able to convert 3dsMax Hair & Fur modifiers to triangular meshes. And, yes, I know it could result in a massive mesh, but at first glance that shouldn't be a problem, to us

Comment

Working...
              X