Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can we improve this wishlist thread?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can we improve this wishlist thread?

Hello,

I´ve been giving some ideas throughout the years on this forum, but i am questioning myself if this thread works as we (forum visitors) could expect.

I am not sure how Chaos elect an idea to be worked inside Software development. Could someone explain what´s the process and why some ideas get´s rejected and others don´t.

In my opinion, ideas should never be rejected and since we are customers, i feel we have a saying sometimes for the products we love so much. I am not saying people should be obliged to work on something just because we pay, and i know software development could be tricky and cost a lot.

But, the thing is, i feel that a very small amount of customers visit forums to request and get solution for software they pay. And if threads don´t get much engagement, it might be discarted, but many people that is out from forums could have similar requests. Or even better, to open the eyes for a feature that everybody feel they needed but since it was never spoken, people don´t know they needed.

Chaos often send us forms to get info about their software and maybe that could be used to spread our requests and make that a vote tool with a large sampling to get precise info for almost everyone.

I saw recently at AVA Archviz channel, a video to make requests for vray and corona, and altough the video was really good, the path to make requests should not be like that. Good thing they have a lot of followers.

I feel her requests are going to be incorporated, but just because of what´s mentioned before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScVk_3DqWKI

Hope i was clear, let me know if that makes sense for someone.

Hello,

I am not sure how Chaos elect an idea to be worked inside Software development. Could someone explain what´s the process and why some ideas get´s rejected and others don´t.

I'll try to illustrate what is happening behind the scenes (for V-Ray). Here are the main factors that affect the decisions:

1. There are different sources of info for what is needed in the product from the user side:
    • the forum - I really like this source the most as the requests are visible, debatable and trackable/linkable (we can link them to our internal system, which is not very easy with random comments from social networks f.e.)
    • the support portal - this actually is the only official way to communicate and request things from Chaos
    • social networks - yes we follow those as well, they are great to check for overall industry attitude but as a source they have their downsides. I really prefer to not log anything specific from such places.
    • client visits and calls - we do have regular talks with some of our clients live
    2. Size of the client - as you can imagine V-Ray is an universal tool that can be used by from a single freelancer to a big visualization company having hundreds of artists. In a lot of cases the needs are very different depending on the size.

3. Industry - again - V-Ray is an universal tool and is part of almost every industry that needs CGI. ArchViz, Product design, VFX ... And again - very different types of requests.

4. Platform - this kind of overlaps with (3.), but not entirely. V-Ray lives in Max, Maya, C4D, SketchUp, Rhino, Revit, Houdini, Form-Z, etc. While those platforms are more or less bind to the industry they serve (except Max - Max is universal ), they too carry their technical limitations that we have to overcome.

5. Technology, hardware and CG trends - everything changes quickly - new technologies arise, new hardware is coming every year, new "universal" format that will save us all and so on

6. What development resources we have at the moment. Are the requested things easy to implement or they will break everything currently working? Is it a good time to have those implemented now (in a technical aspect) or we wait for some other version?

Take these 6 points and mix them together as they are all important and affect each other. Now try to decide what is best to develop next with limited resources and time

On the question from the thread name How can we improve this wishlist thread? - it's very easy - be more active in it.

Sending forms is a good idea, but often the list is difficult to shape. We can certainly think about having something like that in the future.

Last edited by matanov; 15-02-2024, 01:19 AM.
    If it was that easy, it would have already been done

Peter Matanov
    Chaos

Comment

Originally posted by matanov View Post
      Hello,

I'll try to illustrate what is happening behind the scenes (for V-Ray). Here are the main factors that affect the decisions:

1. There are different sources of info for what is needed in the product from the user side:
      • the forum - I really like this source the most as the requests are visible, debatable and trackable/linkable (we can link them to our internal system, which is not very easy with random comments from social networks f.e.)
      • the support portal - this actually is the only official way to communicate and request things from Chaos
      • social networks - yes we follow those as well, they are great to check for overall industry attitude but as a source they have their downsides. I really prefer to not log anything specific from such places.
      • client visits and calls - we do have regular talks with some of our clients live
      2. Size of the client - as you can imagine V-Ray is an universal tool that can be used by from a single freelancer to a big visualization company having hundreds of artists. In a lot of cases the needs are very different depending on the size.

3. Industry - again - V-Ray is an universal tool and is part of almost every industry that needs CGI. ArchViz, Product design, VFX ... And again - very different types of requests.

4. Platform - this kind of overlaps with (3.), but not entirely. V-Ray lives in Max, Maya, C4D, SketchUp, Rhino, Revit, Houdini, Form-Z, etc. While those platforms are more or less bind to the industry they serve (except Max - Max is universal ), they too carry their technical limitations that we have to overcome.

5. Technology, hardware and CG trends - everything changes quickly - new technologies arise, new hardware is coming every year, new "universal" format that will save us all and so on

6. What development resources we have at the moment. Are the requested things easy to implement or they will break everything currently working? Is it a good time to have those implemented now (in a technical aspect) or we wait for some other version?

Take these 6 points and mix them together as they are all important and affect each other. Now try to decide what is best to develop next with limited resources and time

On the question from the thread name How can we improve this wishlist thread? - it's very easy - be more active in it.

Sending forms is a good idea, but often the list is difficult to shape. We can certainly think about having something like that in the future.

Tks for replying.

Yes, i would like to collaborate more, and i try to. But how much? Just questioning myself.

And i`ll send it throuhg support portal as well, tks for the suggestion.

Comment

Working...
      X