Optical flares

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Optical flares

Hello, I remember long ago there were some plugins that could make optical flares inside 3ds max, could it be possible to create them in vray?

​​
    Carlos Rodriguez
    RTstudio
    Tutorials

Optical? Do you mean like a stretched lens flare similar to the ones produced by an anamorphic cinema lens?

We have this panel in VFB that gives a lot of options.​
    Attached Files
    Last edited by dimitar_panayotov; 08-03-2024, 08:28 AM.

Comment

Ohh sorry it didnt upload the image reference
      Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	163
Size:	305.7 KB
ID:	1204001Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	158
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	1204002​​
      Carlos Rodriguez
      RTstudio
      Tutorials

Comment

Hi! Well, I just spoke with devs and unfortunately we can't produce this effect in V-Ray. It's called Ghosting. In real life, it's a result of all the small lenses inside the tube of a lens. In our case, we do not represent these optical elements in our camera. So in order to produce something like this, we need to create a profile of all the characteristics of these lenses.

Comment

Ohhhh, well maibe in the future, thanks
          Carlos Rodriguez
          RTstudio
          Tutorials

Comment

Like this one?
            Look up the video post in the rendering menu

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	96.9 KB ID:	1206514
            or the effects entry in the ​same menu:
            Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	26.9 KB ID:	1206515

*important* post-scriptum: they are only compatible with scanline, so expect slowdowns and crashes if you want to use them with V-Ray.
            they are 30 years old code.
            It shouldn't be too big of an issue to switch to scanline to render the flares alone and composite them later (ofc, you may need a proper scene setup to deal with occluders and so on.).​
            Last edited by ^Lele^; 12-04-2024, 03:39 AM.
            Lele
            Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
            ----------------------
            emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
            The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Thanks Lele I knew about this, like you said, its pretty old and I wanted to know if Chaos team could make something like this inside V-Ray, this effect I do it in Post
              Carlos Rodriguez
              RTstudio
              Tutorials

Comment

I guess you know about https://www.videocopilot.net/products/opticalflares/ so I'd say that's the literal best available solution, unless Chaos wants to develop basically a copy of this, which I would doubt is in their roadmap tbh
                https://www.behance.net/bartgelin

Comment

Thanks fixeighted yeah I saw them long ago, there are lots of useful tools for Post, I was wondering if we could have them inside V-Ray like we have Glares, Vignette, etc
                  Carlos Rodriguez
                  RTstudio
                  Tutorials

Comment

Yes it would be cool, although it's a very specific effect, so as a basic part of a toolset I just reckon it's not something that is worth Chaos's dev time, when it's so much more easily/quickly done as a post thing.
                    You never know though...
                    https://www.behance.net/bartgelin

Comment

It is unlikely we'll work on something like this anytime soon (we are quite loaded with tasks across the board...): as explained before, to do so in camera, which would be interesting and very slow, would require enormous efforts, while developing against established industry standards (RedGiant, Video Copilot, Adobe, etc.) a post-effect is a bit out of our scope.

But i'll be sure to mention it to the relevant Devs, and report should i hear good noises from them.
                      Lele
                      Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
                      ----------------------
                      emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
                      The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Working...
                      X