Footcandle conversion for lighting calculations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Footcandle conversion for lighting calculations

I've been using V-Ray with 3dsMax to do my lighting calculations for the last few months and have really impressed all of the electrical engineers in my firm with it. Although they are very impressed with my work and want to learn it and standardize it in our office, a big hold-up for them is that I was never able to find a way to use footcandles instead of lux for the lighting calculations. I feel like it would be quite a simple feature to include, so I was surprised I couldn't find it easily. The conversion is easy to do in one's head, but it is important for us to give our clients and architects the lighting calculation renders in footcandles as most legal standards are set in footcandles in our area. Have I missed something, or is this not a feature with V-Ray yet?
    Last edited by andrew_butler; 13-03-2024, 11:25 AM.

Different areas - different standards

Are you referring to the Lighting Analysis RE?
    If it was that easy, it would have already been done

Peter Matanov
    Chaos

Comment

My two cents, I wouldn't really use V-Ray for that type of thing. Rather Rhino + Grasshopper + Honeybee/Ladybug. You can make any type of calculation you want with it and you can visualize it how you want. The only limit would be your imagination.
      A.

---------------------
      www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

Originally posted by Vizioen View Post
        My two cents, I wouldn't really use V-Ray for that type of thing. Rather Rhino + Grasshopper + Honeybee/Ladybug. You can make any type of calculation you want with it and you can visualize it how you want. The only limit would be your imagination.
        That does look interesting, thanks! It seems that management wants to stick to the Autodesk suite, but perhaps that is still worth looking into. Would you know how much all of that would cost to use?

Comment

Originally posted by matanov View Post
          Different areas - different standards

Are you referring to the Lighting Analysis RE?
          Yeah, it seems footcandles aren't the most popular unit to use, haha, but it's what they want :s

I'm using the render element "VRayLightingAnalysis" to get a point grid showing lux. I can change to candelas or illuminance, but I can't change the units within those two options.

This is what I'm going for, but would like to display the numbers in footcandles.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	545.7 KB ID:	1204408

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	11.2 KB ID:	1204406​​​
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by andrew_butler View Post

That does look interesting, thanks! It seems that management wants to stick to the Autodesk suite, but perhaps that is still worth looking into. Would you know how much all of that would cost to use?
            Only 1 Rhino license (995 euro in my country). Grasshopper is part of Rhino and Honeybee and Ladybug are also free. The cool part about Rhino is that it's a perpetual license. So no subscription. AND you can try it out for 90 days, full version.
            A.

---------------------
            www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

Logged as VMAX-14039.
              If it was that easy, it would have already been done

Peter Matanov
              Chaos

Comment

Working...
              X