Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VFB masks. Use the alpha channel as a mask

Hi,

Is it possible to use the alpha element as a mask in the framebuffe? This would be really handy for exterior shots when you just wanna lower the exposure of the sky and colour correct it without affecting the rest of the image, and without having to use environment overrides.

Thank you

Hello,

That's doable now - you need to add VRayBackground render element before rendering and then in Composite - first subtract it from the RGB and then add it again with your corrections on top. The example is with a simple color mult, but you can apply everything on the respective layer - Color Balance, Curves etc.

Click image for larger version

Name:	3dsmax_ta0xD39DUE.png
Views:	73
Size:	346.6 KB
ID:	1205878
    If it was that easy, it would have already been done

Peter Matanov
    Chaos

Comment

Another workaround would be to put your VraySky or HDRI into a domelight and then mask it with a Cryptomatte in the VFB. No Composite necessary
      www.dpict3d.com - "That's a very nice rendering, Dave. I think you've improved a great deal." - HAL9000... At least I have one fan.

Comment

Thank you matanov. I don't really want to use the Composite method. I work in a studio where projects get passed around sometimes and this method wouldn't suit a lot of the guys who prefer no framebuffer adjustments to begin with.

I hoped an Exposure layer masked with the existing alpha map would be simple enough.

dlparisi I always add the Sky in a dome light. But how would that work? Do I set the Cryptomatte to object mode instead of material?

Comment

Originally posted by Ahmed Sharif View Post
          Thank you matanov. I don't really want to use the Composite method. I work in a studio where projects get passed around sometimes and this method wouldn't suit a lot of the guys who prefer no framebuffer adjustments to begin with.

I hoped an Exposure layer masked with the existing alpha map would be simple enough.

dlparisi I always add the Sky in a dome light. But how would that work? Do I set the Cryptomatte to object mode instead of material?
          Yeah, set it to node (the default).
          www.dpict3d.com - "That's a very nice rendering, Dave. I think you've improved a great deal." - HAL9000... At least I have one fan.

Comment

Working...
          X