Vray Defaulted to Linear Workflow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vray Defaulted to Linear Workflow

I think Vray defaults and future installations should default to linear workflow. This improves more accurate light falloff and reflectance.

What I propose:

1) Vray 'Color mapping' should be default to Gamma correction 1/.45454
    2) All Vray mats should default to 2.2 gamma space (except where exr/hdr are concerned.) There would be a box which you could turn down in the mats if so inclined.

Inherent issues:

1) Max will not display vraymats color properly (by default) unless end-user specifies 2.2 gamma in max preferences.
    2) In order to use standard max materials, you would still need a correction modifier such as colorcorrect to adjust back to 2.2.
    3) MaxFB will display results as doublecorrected if #1 is applied.
    LunarStudio Architectural Renderings
    HDRSource HDR & sIBL Libraries
    Lunarlog - LunarStudio and HDRSource Blog

Can't you setup your maxstart.max (or vizstart.max) file to the defaults you want? I just set mine up for linear workflow and it works fine. Or am I not understanding something?
    "A severed foot would make the ultimate stocking stuffer"
    -Mitch Hedberg

Comment

Mmm not sure about that, it will cause much confusion I think. Using max start is a very good way of doing all of this for you.

What I would like to see is the ability to use more color mapping modes on top of each other. I would like to use gamma color mapping together with intensity exponential color mapping.
      Aversis 3D | Download High Quality HDRI Maps | Vray Tutorials | Free Texture Maps

Comment

I would like to use gamma color mapping together with intensity exponential color mapping.
        Huh - what technique is this?

Also, I cant find maxstart in the latest version...
        LunarStudio Architectural Renderings
        HDRSource HDR & sIBL Libraries
        Lunarlog - LunarStudio and HDRSource Blog

Comment

Not a special technique, I just want to have a gamma corrected rendering but I still wanna use the intensity exponential color mapping benefits. (prevent blown out areas)
          Aversis 3D | Download High Quality HDRI Maps | Vray Tutorials | Free Texture Maps

Comment

Not a special technique, I just want to have a gamma corrected rendering but I still wanna use the intensity exponential color mapping benefits. (prevent blown out areas)
            That sounds like a good idea ... to have layered colour mapping, im just not Convinced by the linear methods, when i can do it in PS and using intensity exponential in vray.
            Natty
            http://www.rendertime.co.uk

Comment

you dont need to find it... just setup the scene the way you want and save it as maxstart.max in your 3dsmax root folder.

Comment

By default it looks in \scenes directory for maxstart.max
                You can contact StudioGijs for 3D visualization and 3D modeling related services and on-site training.

Comment

ahh yes... sorry, my bad

Comment

Working...
                  X