IOR Drop-down list

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IOR Drop-down list

An IOR drop-down list with preset values would be handy.
    LunarStudio Architectural Renderings
    HDRSource HDR & sIBL Libraries
    Lunarlog - LunarStudio and HDRSource Blog

Yeah, great idea juju! It would really be nice!
    rpc212
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"DR or Die!"

Comment

why add code thats not 100% neccisary. most people know the IORs of major things. maybe an IOR list in the manual. besides. there are tonnes of lists online

---------------------------------------------------
      MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
      stupid questions the forum can answer.

Comment

Indeed - Besides water and glass, everything else is largely a stylistic choice in my opinion - A lot of the time I use a falloff for anything that isn't either of those two depending on what looks right.

Comment

I disagree. I don't think it's that much added code and it is helpful.

Comment

I for one think its a rather handy idea. And the coding involved would not be that great at all.

Comment

Fair enough I'll do one in maxscript to tide you over in the mean time and maybe vlado can put one in on the vray material.

Comment

Your all welcome to use my list: http://www.suurland.com/tests/ior.htm

/Thomas
                www.suurland.com
                www.cg-source.com
                www.hdri-locations.com

Comment

@ suurland
                  I will definitely have this link in the Bookmark section.

Best regards,
                  nikki Candelero
                  .:: FREE Your MINDs, LIVE Your IDEAS ::.

Comment

Heh, nice to see the correct ior's written down someplace.
                    Eric Boer
                    Dev

Comment

LOL @ suurland

I don't even want to know how long it took you to make that table.

Thanks, I needed that laugh here on Monday morning.

Comment

nice one

Comment

Fair enough I'll do one in maxscript to tide you over in the mean time and maybe vlado can put one in on the vray material.
                          Thanks but it's ok - I know where to find values as I've got like 5 different places bookmarked. Part of the problem with people writing scripts is that it ends up postponing something (simple in this case) from getting implemented in official software.

I just thought it would be handy but apparently some people like to bash other people's ideas because it makes them feel better about themselves. Thought it was simple to implement - that's all.

@suurland - perhaps we should remove this parameter altogether. Oh btw, how's that parametric car plugin coming along?

Comment

i have mixed feelings about those IOR lists and values.
                            i notice that newbies think the correct IOR value is everything you need to make Perfect Glass.
                            but for real it's almost completely irrelevant in most applications, and it's not as simple as saying glass has a IOR of 1.5 (or whatever) because there is the (more important for fresnel) seperate reflective IOR, depending on the material surface, etc, etc.
                            IMHO it's much more important to get familar with the falloff map curves (and what fresnel is actually doing to your glass) than choosing some abstract IOR value from a huge list of ridiculous materials.
                            Marc Lorenz
                            ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___
                            www.marclorenz.com
                            www.facebook.com/marclorenzvisualization

Comment

Working...
                            X