"Barn doors" for vray light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Barn doors" for vray light

I haven't seen this request anywhere, so I thought I'd throw it into the hopper. Here's a couple links to explain what i'm looking for:

http://www.bealecorner.com/trv900/barn/barndoors.html

o.k, and this one...

http://www.wpi.edu/Academics/Depts/H.../barndoor.html

Bottom line is it's a way to give the light more controlled directionality...thoughts?

Eric.

what if you put the light in an enclosure with the barndoors on it?
    Cheers,
    -dave
    ■ ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 1950X ■ ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 2990WX ■ ASUS PRIME X399 - 2990WX ■ GIGABYTE AORUS X399 - 2990WX ■ ASUS Maximus Extreme XI with i9-9900k ■

Comment

Originally posted by Syclone1
      what if you put the light in an enclosure with the barndoors on it?

Well, admittedly I haven't had enough time to fully explore this, but as I imagine it it would be much cleaner.

first of all you don't need to build, increase render settings for, and potentially hide another piece of geometry.

secondly, I see barn doors as a very precise cutting tool, much like max's hotspot/falloff, but having direct angles of control straight from the light source...I'm a transplant into 3d from theatre, and this technology onstage is great for putting light just where you want it...

lastly- and this is out of my knowledge base, but I imagine efficiencies within the rendering calculation that might be created from the more precise nature of built-in 'hinges' right off of the vray light. The renderer could exclude all calculations except those coming at whatever angles the shutters dictate...

e.

Comment

It'd be enough to be able to texture the vraylight plane.
        That'd take care of the barn doors with a gradient, but also allow for proper Gobos to be put on the lights.

It'd be lovely to have, indeed.

Lele

Comment

Originally posted by studioDIM
          It'd be enough to be able to texture the vraylight plane.
          That'd take care of the barn doors with a gradient, but also allow for proper Gobos to be put on the lights.

It'd be lovely to have, indeed.

Lele

Here's a rough version of what I have in mind...The blue panels are the shutters, and the yellow and pink fill the gaps from changing the angles. I'm not certain you could get the same thing from a gradient map~

e.

Comment

Working...
          X