Fog options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fog options

Well, There must be already a few dozen wishes about fog, but the search engine returned nothing (suppose somethings bugging there), so here it goes.

As usual, ignore if it has been requested before.

It would be really nice to have an addittive option for the fog. Right now, it multiplies the ray color with the gathered fog saturation, and that's a good thing if you want to model a physically correct absorption. But sometimes I would really prefer a simple additive behavior (like the implementation in the raytrace shader back in the good ol' scanline days) to set up some simple but sometimes useful effects. The VRayBlend shader always had a - not so physically correct, but sometimes useful - "shellack" option, so I suppose this would be allowable too.

I also know, that having the SDK, I could just simply write a shader that measures a ray's travel distance, and returns a color based on that, but I'm not really into coding.

Anyway, if anyone got some ideas on this, or a working solution, I would be most grateful.

Ps. my first thought was, hey, let's add a vraycolor shader to the fog color, and set it something greater than 1.0, but I soon realized, that fog is still not mappable. Since a mapping channel for fog color has already been requested, I just second that here. Mapped color for dielectrics is a musthave, and filtering refraction color simple looks odd to eyes used to nice light absorption.

best regards,

A.
    credit for avatar goes here

sounds like what you want is a raytrace volume shader.

Comment

Volumetric shading? Now that's another thing I would love to have in VRay. But this has been requested many times before, and we've already seen some development also. A volumetric shader is such a must, that sooner or later it will be added imo.

No, my wish is just a way to measure a ray's travel length between two intersections of the same shader, maybe wrapped nicely into a shader, so it could be useful for various situations. For example, you could map a VayBlend's blend color with it, and get a shader that varies depending on object thickness.

Best regards,

A.

Comment

It is not too hard to write a "thickness" texture that would return a black to white color based on the thickness of an object... would this work for you?

Best regards,
        Vlado
        I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

This is what I wanted to do in the first place (to have a generic tool for many uses), but to be honest, after five years without doing any coding at all, when I started to go trough the supplied plugin sample's code, I had to admit to my self, that I've forgotten almost everything. Didn't really know where to start, so I've chosen the lazy and easy way, asking for it on the wishlist.

Best regards,

A.

Comment

Yep, it has been asked for before... so it will probably be implemented.

Best regards,
            Vlado
            I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Great to hear, thank you very much!

Best regards,

A.

Comment

Working...
              X