Trace mouse while rendering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trace mouse while rendering

I love this feature and use it alot, but I was wondering if it would be possible to implement something similar, except that you can draw a line that your buckets have to follow (see attachment)
    Attached Files
    www.artbyarjan.com - Online portfolio (temporarily offline)
    @home:
    / AMD Phenom X4 @ 3.00Ghz / ATI HD 4890 / 8Gb Ram /
    / Vista Ultimate x64 / Max 2010 / Vray 1.5 SP3a Edu /
    @work:
    / Intel Core2Quad Q9450 @ 2.66Ghz /
    Nvidia Quadro FX 3700 / 8Gb Ram /
    / Vista Bussines x64 /

If you keep bucket size small (16x16 px for example) and little to no aa, it will follow your mouse in near realtime on most scenes...
    I can see why you would want to draw the path in advance, though.
    Lele
    Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
    ----------------------
    emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
    The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

It can probably be made so that if you click (and possibly drag) the mouse, the VFB will "remember" (and mark) the buckets you have passed through so that it will go through them first, before returning again to following the mouse - do you think this will work better?

Best regards,
      Vlado
      I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Yeah that could work also.
        Sometimes I just want to see part of a render first (I know I could use region render for that) or make part of a render go first because it's very heavy for example, but I also want to continue working.
        If I could drag a line or select the buckets that have to be rendered first I don't have to wait but just continue working and check again later.

Am I right when (looking at your reply vlado) I say that drawing a line like my example would not be possible or very difficult?
        @home:
        @work:
        / Vista Bussines x64 /

Comment

You can kind of do this already. Just use the mouse tracking in the VRFB and position the pointer on the area you want it to work on and then ALT-TAB over to a new application. The VRFB will no longer track your mouse and will keep working on the area you left it on before.
          www.dpict3d.com - "That's a very nice rendering, Dave. I think you've improved a great deal." - HAL9000... At least I have one fan.

Comment

Originally posted by dlparisi View Post
            You can kind of do this already. Just use the mouse tracking in the VRFB and position the pointer on the area you want it to work on and then ALT-TAB over to a new application. The VRFB will no longer track your mouse and will keep working on the area you left it on before.
            That doesn't work when your moving from one monitor to another though afaik.

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

Any way one could expand on this to have a VFB "region marquee" like in the maya FB? One of the only things they got right when they wrote the old maya renderer, and miles better than the "marquee in the view port" system we have in max.

(Please excuse me if I am repeating an earlier wish-list post).
              Signing out,
              Christian

Comment

I dont really know region marquee in maya, but something like this ?

http://www.turbosquid.com/FullPrevie....cfm/ID/345225

it's available for free for non commercial use or to test it on maxplugins.

Regards,
                Thorsten

Comment

Free? Says there it costs $ 39 dollars!
                  @home:
                  @work:
                  / Vista Bussines x64 /

Comment

on maxplugins.de not turbosquid :P tho the cgtalk link seems to be our of order. the 64bit link is working tho.

Regards,
                    Thorsten

Comment

Oh, that's what you mean with "on maxplugins" :P

I didn't get that part.
                      @home:
                      @work:
                      / Vista Bussines x64 /

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
                        It can probably be made so that if you click (and possibly drag) the mouse, the VFB will "remember" (and mark) the buckets you have passed through so that it will go through them first, before returning again to following the mouse - do you think this will work better?

Best regards,
                        Vlado
                        if i'm not wrong, there is kind the same feature in fryrender and it's true it's very nice to use.

@ instinct : i can't make it work, it says "-- Unknown property : "getMAXHWND" in undefined"
                        i'm on max 2008, i think that's the problem, can you make it work on 2008 if you have it?

thanks
                        Last edited by 3LP; 23-01-2008, 03:21 AM.
                        3LP Team

Comment

I tried the region render tool earlier, and it's quite nice, but rendering in the viewport is not as handy as in the VFB. (Kinda fiddly). This is especially apparent when rendering wide angle shots with the physical camera where the viewport image can't match the rendered distortion. Not a major issue, but I still think this would be better if done directly in the VFB
                          Signing out,
                          Christian

Comment

Working...
                          X