Cylindrical vray light, I know this was already asked but really needed now

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cylindrical vray light, I know this was already asked but really needed now

please please please, cylindrical vray light, I know that we can do a cylindrical light with a mesh and vraylight mtl but I don't want to puch the GI to have a correct rendering.
    BTW if I scale a sphere light only on one axe does it change the way the light light my scene?
    Thanks a lot
    cheers
    =:-/
    Laurent

You can create a self-illuminated tube and surround it with 4 rectangle portals lights. Then you will not need the GI to make the material emit light.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Originally posted by priad View Post
      BTW if I scale a sphere light only on one axe does it change the way the light light my scene?
      I believe the only spinner that actually works for the spherical area light is the first one, hence it'll always be spherical, regardless of the shape the light helper will take up once scaled with the scale tool.

And Vlado, you DO know that sometimes you p**s me off big-time (in an extremely good way) when you drop these bombshells in the space of a half-hidden reply, yes?
      Lele
      Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
      ----------------------
      emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
      The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

So the method works with any geometric shape, but it does have a couple of drawbacks, mainly to do with the need to sample lights a LOT to get clean results, meaning the render phase may be slow with complex geometric lights, and / or textures applied to the vraylight material.
        The attached image (heavily compressed) is rendered with 6 light portals with 64 samples each.
        Rendertime, without AA, was 7minutes odd on an x2-4200, of course, purely in direct mode (ie. no gi whatsoever).
        Quality's governed by the light portals' subdivs, speed is likely to improve as the number of polys making up the light object decrease.
        Attached Files
        Lele
        ----------------------

Disclaimer:
        The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Why did you used six light for that? In this example one would have done the trick too. Actually the complexity of the scene "behind" the portal light has a surprisingly small effect on rendertimes. The main control will simply be how many subdivs you use to sample the Vraylight. But anyway, I could be wrong.

Best regards,
          A.
          credit for avatar goes here

Comment

Uh, yeah, possibly, I'd need to check how a flat light below the object would handle distribution further away from the projection of the object on the ground.
            It's because i am thinking of a script to handle this, so i thought directly of a bounding box
            Lele
            ----------------------

Disclaimer:

Comment

quote for lele.

When yesterday i've read vlado's trick i thought "genius" and i tested it immediately and it works.

Great.

Comment

Originally posted by ^Lele^ View Post
                Uh, yeah, possibly, I'd need to check how a flat light below the object would handle distribution further away from the projection of the object on the ground.
                It's because i am thinking of a script to handle this, so i thought directly of a bounding box
                Ah, got it! You do know that Vlado's working on geometric lights atm?

Another thing, I find it quite amazing how well the skylight portal VRaylight blends with the cached GI solutions. You can hardly see the transition where the irradiance map ends, and a per pixel sampled region of the portal starts.

Best regards,
                A.
                credit for avatar goes here

Comment

Oh yes, I know that.
                  It's just that placing 6 planar portals sized to a BB is pretty straightforward...
                  It's just finding the time to sit and do it which is proving hard atm.
                  Should have some this afternoon...
                  Lele
                  ----------------------

Disclaimer:

Comment

Well, for the next update you also get texture-mapped rectangle lights with transparency, so that allows for some nice effects like light-emitting text etc.

Best regards,
                    Vlado
                    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

surely you kid! Excellent!
                      Colin Senner

Comment

great news vlado!
                        can t wait!
                        Nuno de Castro

www.ene-digital.com
                        nuno@ene-digital.com
                        00351 917593145

Comment

Wow that sounds great.

Vlado did mention the portal trick in a much older thread (previous) forum - it involved a light bulb hanging in a room.

The problem I have with portals is that it raised render times pretty drastically (at least for one scene I was using it on.)
                          LunarStudio Architectural Renderings
                          HDRSource HDR & sIBL Libraries
                          Lunarlog - LunarStudio and HDRSource Blog

Comment

I remember light portals in a modified cornell box pretty well, jujubee.
                            Those, however, were used in conjunction with PPT or LC/QMC situations, not behaving as direct lights portals for a vraylight material.

here: http://www.chaosgroup.com/forums/vbu...ghlight=ppt%2A
                            Lele
                            ----------------------

Disclaimer:

Comment

what about object based lights? those are on the way vlado?
                              Dmitry Vinnik
                              Silhouette Images Inc.
                              ShowReel:
                              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
                              https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

Working...
                              X