Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A quality RenderID type of output

Hey Vlado,

My #1 suggestion would be to have a quick and easy way to get a quality RenderID type channel for those of us who have clientele who request specific elements and materials be tweaked individually. I know it can be done using MultiMatte but that can be some work sometimes....and RenderID is integer based so somethimes it doesn't select all the material due to the AA difference.

unfortinantly I dont see any other way, then those already intergrated. Yes multimatte is a bit of work. But you get a nice and clean RGB selection.
    How would you imagine a way to do this?

The only plausable way I can see at this point is to tag each object with a number. Then store it's separate alpha with that number whilst other objects would be occluding mattes. That is possible to code in for sure. However, there is a new problem which would arise at that point: which packedge can read such format or extention of format?
    you see...
    Last edited by Morbid Angel; 15-05-2008, 11:35 AM.
    Dmitry Vinnik
    Silhouette Images Inc.
    ShowReel:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

Hmn, so there wouldn't be a way to split it up by materials? Say you assign each material a different color, and these colors render without shading or being affected by light...could that be done?

Comment

mtrl id

isn't adding a number to the material and rendering out a mtrl id pass for?
        Bobby Parker
        www.bobby-parker.com
        e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
        phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
        • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
        • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
        • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
        • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by RyanSpaulding-M&H View Post
          Hmn, so there wouldn't be a way to split it up by materials? Say you assign each material a different color, and these colors render without shading or being affected by light...could that be done?
          precisly that. A material id pass will tag each material with gbuffer id.
          Dmitry Vinnik
          Silhouette Images Inc.
          ShowReel:

Comment

Is this for stills or animations?

Comment

Originally posted by Morbid Angel View Post
              unfortinantly I dont see any other way, then those already intergrated. Yes multimatte is a bit of work. But you get a nice and clean RGB selection.
              How would you imagine a way to do this?

The only plausable way I can see at this point is to tag each object with a number. Then store it's separate alpha with that number whilst other objects would be occluding mattes. That is possible to code in for sure. However, there is a new problem which would arise at that point: which packedge can read such format or extention of format?
              you see...
              I like the idea of extra alpha channels for different objects !! It would be ok as a render element, so every software would be able to read and use it at mask. We currently
              use Vray_WireColor for selecting individual objects with antialiasing. Works in most cases.
              But extra alpha channels would be nice and more flexible.

Comment

3ds Max already has a perfect data structure for storing all the information needed to generate masks for objects and materials. It is called the multi-layered G-Buffer. Cramming more information into a single image then the MultiMatte element does will always result in low-quality antialiasing.
                Daniel Schmidt - Developer of psd-manager

Comment

Originally posted by dans View Post
                  3ds Max already has a perfect data structure for storing all the information needed to generate masks for objects and materials. It is called the multi-layered G-Buffer. Cramming more information into a single image then the MultiMatte element does will always result in low-quality antialiasing.
                  indeed, hance the aliasing issues of render id for example.
                  Thats why what I propose is something different. Its an alpha of a numbered object per layer. Could be a different image format, rendered separatly.
                  Dmitry Vinnik
                  Silhouette Images Inc.
                  ShowReel:

Comment

Where is the advantage/difference between what you propose and the multi-layered G-Buffer ? It contains the information for all objects in the scene. Isn't that what you describe ?

The G-Buffer can be saved directly in a RPF file for use in software that support it properly like Combustion (unlike After Effects that doesn't properly support it, because unlike Combustion it can not create anti-aliased masks).
                    Or the G-Buffer is used as a basis to produce a more common file format (e.g. PSD format using psd-manager - so you can get one alpha per layer).
                    Daniel Schmidt - Developer of psd-manager

Comment

I'm a little unsure of the best way to get the g-buffer IDs.
                      If I use VrayMtlID, I get the colours for all the IDs but the quality is low and badly aliased.
                      If I use VrayMultiMat, I can only get 3 IDs per multimat channel but the quality is high.

Is there any way to get the quality of multimat but with ALL the IDs coloured in one render element? Or do I always have to create a different Multimat for each ID I want? It's easy enough to key one colour or another in post from one file so Id rather do that rather than have the extra disc overhead of having a different series of files for each ID.
                      Many Thanks
                      Patrick

Comment

You can use the wirecolor to do that. BUT "easy enough to key" will give you edges when doing post grading more then a tad. If you're fine with that wirecolor should work for you.

Regards,
                        Thorsten

Comment

Working...
                        X