X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vray dome light

hi
    now i need this one

is it possible to show ( corectly ) dome light texture in viewport ?

put it in your environment slow and enable the view show in view port.
    Bobby Parker
    www.bobby-parker.com
    e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
    phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
    • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
    • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
    • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
    • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

hmm i wish but it cant show corectly like in vrayhdri map... (in map editor is one position and in viewport is another )

Comment

Still a valid wish (of sorts), though something very similar has been wished for a long time ago. Seeing the mapped texture on the dome, and having it respect gizmo rotation for all axes (currently the domelight uses mapping rotation for horizontal (Z) orientation, yet gizmo rotation for x & Y).
        Signing out,
        Christian

Comment

Originally posted by trixian View Post
          (currently the domelight uses mapping rotation for horizontal (Z) orientation, yet gizmo rotation for x & Y)
          The viewport icon is only used to determine which part of the texture is considered for a hemispheric light. It does not change the texture orientation in any way.

Best regards,
          Vlado
          I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Still, It would be nice to be able to see the texture on the dome (or that it automatically sets itself as the viewport BG), and then be able to orient it through direct manipulation. At least then it uses the standard max transform controllers and can be accessed in a more intuitive way.
            Signing out,
            Christian

Comment

+1 for ability to rotate the texture with the Max gizmo. Especially for vertical rotation as that can only be done properly (I think) with the VrayHDRI shader, but that doesn't play well with exr.

b
              Brett Simms

www.heavyartillery.com
              e: brett@heavyartillery.com

Comment

Yeah, this is an old one, but I still wish for the ability to just grab the domelight (in viewport) and rotate it to control map rotation. This would allow 2 lights to be sharing the same map, but the gizmo could be rotated to suit different camera angles instead of creating copies of the HDR in the Mat editor.

Comment

Originally posted by voltron7 View Post
                  Yeah, this is an old one, but I still wish for the ability to just grab the domelight (in viewport) and rotate it to control map rotation. This would allow 2 lights to be sharing the same map, but the gizmo could be rotated to suit different camera angles instead of creating copies of the HDR in the Mat editor.
                  This option is now in V-Ray 3.0. BUT! I've noticed a bug with it... maybe someone else can confirm:

If you take the dome locator and try to key rotating it 360* around the Z-axis... the moment it gets to 180* it flips to -180* and works its way back down in the negatives.
                  Akin Bilgic | CGGallery.com
                  Modeler & Generalist TD

V-Ray Render Optimization
                  V-Ray DMC Calculator

Comment

Originally posted by RockinAkin View Post
                    If you take the dome locator and try to key rotating it 360* around the Z-axis... the moment it gets to 180* it flips to -180* and works its way back down in the negatives.
                    Is that not the case for any object rotation in 3ds Max? I believe if you change the rotation controller of the dome light to something else (maybe "linear rotation"), it will work as expected.

Best regards,
                    Vlado
                    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Originally posted by RockinAkin View Post
                      This option is now in V-Ray 3.0. BUT! I've noticed a bug with it... maybe someone else can confirm:
                      Great news about the option! Thanks, hopefully I can get a break between jobs to try 2014 and 3.0! Best regards

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
                        Is that not the case for any object rotation in 3ds Max? I believe if you change the rotation controller of the dome light to something else (maybe "linear rotation"), it will work as expected.

Best regards,
                        Vlado
                        Yes, you are right - it's an issue with max and not V-Ray. Jumped the gun!
                        Akin Bilgic | CGGallery.com
                        Modeler & Generalist TD

V-Ray Render Optimization
                        V-Ray DMC Calculator

Comment

Am I missing something here?
                          If I animate my vray domelight 360 degrees, it certainly does not flip at 180.
                          If this was the normal behaviour in max animators would be rather pissed off.
                          Sounds like you guys are describing gimbal lock of some sorts.
                          Is this "dome locator" something specific for vray 3.x?
                          Last edited by trixian; 25-11-2013, 04:52 AM.
                          Signing out,
                          Christian

Comment

Working...
                          X