Anti Aliasing per object

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anti Aliasing per object

Wish there's setting for AA per object, so can speed up "try & error", especially for scene with displacement.

I agree, this would be very useful.
    Sometimes you have a scene that can be mostly rendered with undersampling, but some objects might have details like grooves or small holes. Being able to set these objects to use 1/3 while the rest of the scene is -1/2 would be awesome.
    Torgeir Holm | www.netronfilm.com

Comment

oh yes .... i second that.

Natty
      Natty
      http://www.rendertime.co.uk

Comment

But this would be very hard to manage in animation. You would see the differences immadiately, especially when they move...

By the way I have a big Q. I am working some animation, there will be a lot of grass trees... The antialiasing in Vray is much slower than MAX scanline managed. Maybe I am missing something. I tired all the tree sampler with all the filters. Slow.

I dont understand this. I'll post some image about it.

Comment

This would actually be extremely useful from my current perspective.

Currently I'm battling an issue that could be easily solved with such a feature.

I have a fairly complex animation with camera moving through an old city of sort, and during the tests, it was all looking pretty good in stills. Irradiance map pre-rendered, and I was set to start rendering, but after first 10 frames of the animation, new problems surfaced. It was showing some very noticable flickering when looked in sequence due to antialiasing of delicate patterns.

I abort and start tweaking the antialiasing, filters and whatnot and do some tests. I manage to get it fairly smooth by upping the AA threshold and min-max values, but at this point, I'm looking at 30-40 minutes per frame, which is way more than I had hoped. And just for comparison, the same image renders in less than 2 minutes with no antialiasing, so this is definitely the bottleneck.

So basically, I'm forced to antialias the whole image with extremely high settings to make one area smooth, where if antialiasing per object or material ID existed, I could just assign a higher value to that region and keep the render times reasonable.

If anyone has any useful tips how to deal with such issues, I would be most appreciative.

Comment

Not sure how your render is setup, but in situations like this compositing in something like After Effects or Combustion is often the answer.

You do the scene as one pass and the trouble spot as another and then add them together in the compsiting package. GI presents it's own challenges to this work flow, but it often can be a really good way to speed upyou work flow.
            Two heads are better than one ...
            ....but some head is better than none.....

Comment

but its very useful if we can do it in vray, beside, u dont have to buy another software like AE or combustion, except u already own it

Comment

Video post can do this I believe...but I would rather be hit in the toe with a hammer....
                Not so cast further doubt on doing this, but it might require a new AA method, Adaptive AA might have trouble with this...
                Two heads are better than one ...
                ....but some head is better than none.....

Comment

maybe Vlado surprises us one day
                  there is one other way, if the rendertime is so little, i'll check this out, before I put it out.

Comment

Hello.
                    This would be very usefull indeed...
                    Per material solution would be great also.
                    Is it me or it seems that Vray development is slowing a bit...
                    Is Vlado in another project???

Comment

Originally posted by RSF
                      Is it me or it seems that Vray development is slowing a bit...
                      Is Vlado in another project???
                      No, but really, we must finish the so called one-point-five version, before starting to add any new significant features. Any major changes (and per object AA is one of them) will have to wait until after 1.5 is released.

Best regards,
                      Vlado
                      I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Comment

actually you can do your own layering in max's video post if its just simple stuff. no need for compositing.

---------------------------------------------------
                          MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
                          stupid questions the forum can answer.

Comment

Damn, did a search and this showed up in the wishlist section.
                            I'm doing an animation, the objects look fine, but a logo (applied as a texture) is rendering very spotty. I'd just like to up the antialiasing for that object/material so I can get it in there. Blurry, but at least it will be there. I'm worried about flicker.

Any news on this yet? It looks like it's been quite a while. 1.5 and 1.5SP1 have gotten out since these posts. I'm hoping vlado has moved on to new things....like this?

Comment

Originally posted by andrewjohn81 View Post
                              Damn, did a search and this showed up in the wishlist section.
                              I'm doing an animation, the objects look fine, but a logo (applied as a texture) is rendering very spotty. I'd just like to up the antialiasing for that object/material so I can get it in there. Blurry, but at least it will be there. I'm worried about flicker.

Any news on this yet? It looks like it's been quite a while. 1.5 and 1.5SP1 have gotten out since these posts. I'm hoping vlado has moved on to new things....like this?

Ok I didn't find this thread...

I have same problem...

And sorry for double posting

http://www.chaosgroup.com/forums/vbu...ad.php?t=41195
                              My Flickr

Comment

Working...
                              X