Fake refractive fog material

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fake refractive fog material

I often thought about the usability fot a material that have the "depht" variation that you get from a fog material but without the refraction - I am thinking that you can make a material that fades between two colors depending of the depht of the object. I hope this was understandable..

-Tom

Like this?

It uses dirt as a diffuse map.
    Consider same object only - checked
    Invert normal - checked

Click image for larger version

Name:	Dirt_Diffuse.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	129.3 KB
ID:	843967
    Lasse Kilpia
    VFX Artist
    Post Control Helsinki

Comment

What I am after (If its possible) is a map giving the result as in the image below.
      In the image I have used a 100% refractive mat with a orangy fog and 1 IOR infront of a lightmat with 100 white.
      You can see that you get really nice depht graduations, If it could be possible to get the same effect with something like a "dephtmap" wich you plug into the diffuse channel, there you could get options for putting in different colors depending of the "depht" of the object..
      I realise that you need some raytracing for this, but you dont have to consider any other objects.

An other use for this would maybe to plug this into the opacity channel?
      I am thinking of using this as a way of faking objects that are a bit transparent and higly glossy refractive.

Hope this makes it clearer..

-Tom
      Attached Files
      Last edited by winberg; 18-04-2011, 05:32 PM.

Comment

I can see the use for this - kinda like the two-sided material, but for solid objects. For really frosted type objects/heavy translucency it would be like a refractive/SSS cheat.

Using it for Opacity might not work well because it will give a ghosted effect I think... ?
        Brett Simms

www.heavyartillery.com
        e: brett@heavyartillery.com

Comment

Working...
        X