My biggest wish...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My biggest wish...

Would be for Chaosgroup to release a full 3D app, and I can forget about Autodesk forever. I know this isn't the right forum, as there isn't a Chaosgroup general forum I posted here.

It's beyond me how a company like Chaosgroup that is tiny compared to a monolith like AD can consistently do better at making apps, support, and quality.

As I sit here and play with my broken 2012 install, I can't help but notice I've never had these kinds of issues with anything CG has coded.

You guys are great, keep it up.

+100,000

I was just talking with my coworker about this. We would all would love it. It's probably unrealistic to dream about, but I think it could be a game changer. I'm sure a huge percent of Autodesk users would switch. And also imagine how much better Vray could be, if Chaosgroup could build a purpose built 3d application that was meant to interface with Vray from the ground up.

Here's to dreaming...
    David M. Foster

Comment

Originally posted by Deflaminis View Post

It's beyond me how a company like Chaosgroup that is tiny compared to a monolith like AD can consistently do better at making apps, support, and quality.

It actually makes perfect sense! The quote an old saying - Too many cooks spoil the Broth [dinner]

The more humans that are involved in a project the more problems you have.
      My best clients are smaller companies.....my worst are Large ones as they continually change things, make mistakes & have internal communication issues.

Chaos group works better because it's SMALL & therefor easy to control. AD is like an uncontrolable monster on the loose.

Jamie

Comment

Murphy says that the chances of something going wrong is directly proportional to the amount of people involved

And like Jamie says, my best clients are the SMALL ones, however the bigger ones pay more
        Kind Regards,
        Morne

Comment

Originally posted by 3DMK View Post
          It actually makes perfect sense! The quote an old saying - Too many cooks spoil the Broth [dinner]

Jamie
          Good point here. It just feels like my sous chef is 2 interns and my head chef doesn't eat food.

Comment

While Chaos does indeed a great job on all accounts you cannot compare Max and VRay. Max has way more things that can possibly break than VRay or Phoenix. Also Max has a crazy large userbase, which is worse than a crazy large developer base :P

Thorsten

Comment

Originally posted by instinct View Post
              While Chaos does indeed a great job on all accounts you cannot compare Max and VRay. Max has way more things that can possibly break than VRay or Phoenix. Also Max has a crazy large userbase, which is worse than a crazy large developer base :P

Thorsten
              Of course you are right, but a man can dream!

Comment

I think this is very hard at this stage for chaosgroup to develop a 3d application that capable of doing anything that any 3d app can do today. If you don't like Max you can switch to Maya or Cinema4D or even Sketchup. Vray is available for those apps.

Personally I'd love to see an app like PDPlayer to have Basic functionality of Adobe AfterEffects and Premiere combined. I'm not talking about the goofy transitions or plugins no one ever uses but the more important stuff like Compositing/(sound)Editing/Color corrections (like Magic bullit looks)/Dof/Velocity pass motion blur/ Lensflares etc. without the need of external plugins. All 64bit,multithreaded and gpu accellerated

ahum,Small wish,ahum

ps. sorry about hijacking the thread
                Nils Poetoehena
                3D Visualiser
                www.demanufacture.org
                www.gielissen.com

Comment

Vlado, how can we convince you...?
                  David M. Foster

Comment

I hope you don't convince him - I would like to see RT fully fleshed out first (just CPU even, GPU would be nice but I can wait for that...)

/b
                    Brett Simms

www.heavyartillery.com
                    e: brett@heavyartillery.com

Comment

Originally posted by nils_p View Post
                      I think this is very hard at this stage for chaosgroup to develop a 3d application that capable of doing anything that any 3d app can do today. If you don't like Max you can switch to Maya or Cinema4D or even Sketchup. Vray is available for those apps.
                      I love max, don't get me wrong. I just don't love what gets attention vs. what doesn't. I feel like for each release of Vray, Vlado and the team focus on the true priorities and it shows. I have a lot of plugins from different companies and by far chaosgroups are the best and most bug free. He even once built a special version of vray just for the company I was working for at the time due to some weirdness in our routers. That's unreal, and Chaosgroup has my loyalty forever as a result.

Good programming and business practices should be rewarded imho, and whatever Chaosgroup puts out next... I'll buy it.

Brett when you say fully fleshed out, do you mean like SSS support and things like that? Seems pretty awesome from my end, and I even have a terrible graphics card.
                      Last edited by Deflaminis; 01-06-2011, 11:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Deflaminis View Post
                        Brett when you say fully fleshed out, do you mean like SSS support and things like that? Seems pretty awesome from my end, and I even have a terrible graphics card.
                        Don't get me wrong, I am a huge proponent of RT and could not live without it anymore. But there are a few things it doesn't do yet e.g.
                        SSS
                        Caustics
                        Full displacement (Vray Modifier)
                        directional parameter of vray lights
                        a few odds and ends, but those are the ones I'm currently waiting for

/b
                        Brett Simms

www.heavyartillery.com

Comment

But Brett, isn't the very fact that you will undoubtedly get those additions to RT bear testament to Chaosgroup's commitment to meaningful development? Is there any 3d program that has comparable support?

I'm a big fan of Max (as it sounds we all are), but it seems when Autodesk bought up so much of their competition, they lost some of their competitive drive. A lot of their business decisions seemed to be based off marketing, not innovation, imho. So I can't help but wonder if a separate company came out with an all new viable alternative, that could offer some real competition to Autodesk, it could spur a resurgence in development.

And we've all seen Vray dominate over the years, beating out Mental Ray to become the standard in a lot of industries. Wouldn't it be great if Chaosgroup could do the same with a 3d app? I know its probably unrealistic, but I share the dream, Deflaminis...
                          David M. Foster

Comment

I fully agree that Chaos has the best support by far - I have no complaints about Chaos at all, and I fully understand that the developments for RT will come. The only reason I pointed them out was someone asked me for specifics. It wasn't a bitch session

Anyway, my point is more that asking them to add an entire 3D package on top of things is clearly a tall order. Considering that core tools are still in process, even with heavy and focused development, how much more can you expect of them? (Especially when they only charge for an upgrade once every 5 or 10 years instead of 5 or 10 months like AD tends to do )

All that said, it would be amazing if they could do it - I would buy in for sure - I just think it is impractical.

/b
                            Brett Simms

www.heavyartillery.com

Comment

Brett, you didn't hear? They are super humans. They can knock that out in 15 mins.

David M. Foster

Comment

Working...
                              X