Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Screen-space human skin implemented on V-Ray for 3ds Max that reduce render time 90%

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eh well, this saves me the effort of trying to implement it

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Here's one of the Authors' pages on the paper:

http://www.eugenedeon.com/qd.html

On the bottom there is a link to the patent: http://www.google.com/patents/US8064726

Regards,
      Thorsten

Comment

I don't think it's patented, the most recent patented is dated from 2006..

vlado, if it's patented ok you cannot implement it, but maybe it gives you some idea on how to improve the sss2 based on what I said in this thread. And if it's not patented, then, it's the way to go, since it address all the issues.

Comment

Hi Vlado,

where are you at those request into the sss2 ?:

- including opacity slot

- Backscattering control : We really need control over this one, since by default it's clearly not enought powerfull, we need to have control over it a la mental ray.

- Including full control over reflection ( independantely of the specular, maybe having a check box, called : link and we can uncheck it and play with the reflection as we want it,etc) instead of having to blend it everytime, and it would be good to have more option for the fresnel reflection, since skin has fresnel reflection. like dividing the reflection in 2 parts, the facing reflection and the edgy one (fresnel) so we can balance and adjust both, with Glossiness independant for both with curves options etc.

- Bleeding effect in close surface ( too much bounce of the light that cause red effect near surface wich are close)

- The greenish bug when we put the sss stronger or when there is thinner surface

- and maybe adding a specular bump and a reflection bump? for keeping more details of the surface?

And, an other request, wich others as already mention, having the control over the reflection power of the light, now we just have control over the power of the light, but most of the time, when the light is reflected, let's say in the eyes.. the reflect that the light does is way too strong.. it's a 100% white.. would be awesome to have control over this parameter! for now I have to do some annoying work around..

Thank's Vlado

Comment

Originally posted by Bigguns View Post
            - including opacity slot
            We will try to include this for the next official service pack.

- Backscattering control : We really need control over this one, since by default it's clearly not enought powerfull, we need to have control over it a la mental ray.
            I cannot do this right now.

- Including full control over reflection ( independantely of the specular, maybe having a check box, called : link and we can uncheck it and play with the reflection as we want it,etc) instead of having to blend it everytime, and it would be good to have more option for the fresnel reflection, since skin has fresnel reflection. like dividing the reflection in 2 parts, the facing reflection and the edgy one (fresnel) so we can balance and adjust both, with Glossiness independant for both with curves options etc.
            There are plans to add a second specular layer, but seeing as how you can already do all these things through the VRayBlendMtl material, I don't see an immediate need to complicate the sss2 shader itself any further. Still, it would be good to describe in more detail what specific controls you need - I have no idea how you set up your shaders, so I have no idea what settings would be useful for you.

- Bleeding effect in close surface ( too much bounce of the light that cause red effect near surface wich are close)
            I'm not sure about this one... in my experience this is caused by plugging in physically implausible textures that have pure red components. The most we can do here is internally clamp the textures to some reasonable value.

- The greenish bug when we put the sss stronger or when there is thinner surface
            I haven't determined for certain yet if this is a bug that should be fixed, or simply a result of the equations.

- and maybe adding a specular bump and a reflection bump? for keeping more details of the surface?
            See my reply on the speculars.

And, an other request, wich others as already mention, having the control over the reflection power of the light, now we just have control over the power of the light, but most of the time, when the light is reflected, let's say in the eyes.. the reflect that the light does is way too strong.. it's a 100% white.. would be awesome to have control over this parameter! for now I have to do some annoying work around..
            There are plans to add multipliers for the specular and diffuse contributions of lights, similar to what we have in Maya. Would this be enough?

Best regards,
            Vlado
            I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
              We will try to include this for the next official service pack.

I cannot do this right now.

There are plans to add a second specular layer, but seeing as how you can already do all these things through the VRayBlendMtl material, I don't see an immediate need to complicate the sss2 shader itself any further. Still, it would be good to describe in more detail what specific controls you need - I have no idea how you set up your shaders, so I have no idea what settings would be useful for you.

I'm not sure about this one... in my experience this is caused by plugging in physically implausible textures that have pure red components. The most we can do here is internally clamp the textures to some reasonable value.

I haven't determined for certain yet if this is a bug that should be fixed, or simply a result of the equations.

See my reply on the speculars.

There are plans to add multipliers for the specular and diffuse contributions of lights, similar to what we have in Maya. Would this be enough?

Best regards,
              Vlado

Hi Vlado,

Maybe for the back scattering, you can add an other layer,( EDIT * a layer that just does Backscattering effect,because otherwise it will get the ears green if it has too much big radius or sss weight.. so it need to be a layer that just react to back sss scattering) on top of what already exist, that will only emplify the effect of backscatter ( it will addition with the already back sss result, so that way you don't have to change the math within the sahder, I see this just like adding a back scatter layer that is addtionned with the other one(the one that occur naturally in the shader ), so it result in more back sss and more control). Is it possible to do it that way?

Ok for the reflection I will do some images to show you when I have time.

Ok seems good, It's not cause by texture, even if you take a model without textures it will do this. But, there is a way to... minimise this effect, with map, to put a map in the sss radius that is darker in some region, do minimise the sss effect,so the bleed. And also, using a map with less saturated color (because yes, the more saturated, the worst result you get ) in the sss scater color where it's bleeding.. and of course, putting the generate GI at off of the object, let's say the head... that help a lot... it's in fact the first thing to do

for the greenish, maybe it's a result of the equation, but for sure, true skin in true life do not do this, so the equation are not 100 % physically accurate, so then can be improved by one way or the other. I tried the new mental ray sss2, the sss look good, but it needs to be at very hi resolution, like 2500 pixel of height.. so the light map retains enought details... so it not that good for that.. but the sss do not become greennish and the back scatter work great. Maybe I can post screen shot to see the comparaison with Vray, a blend of the 2 would be ideal .. Vray retains a lot more details in the SSS, and in surface details, with the bump and reflection, so Vray win here. The sss look alomost the same, except little things as I said. and the spec, and especially the reflection are VERY hard to control in MR.. and in fact look less good then Vray.

See my reply on the speculars. Where is that reply ? I readed the whole thread and did not saw it.. maybe I'm blind after this day of work haha

Thank's
              Last edited by Bigguns; 05-10-2012, 07:34 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X